This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepomuk not indexing files

Ok, I finally gave into the KDE devs insistence that I have file indexing on my desktop. I only did because I read that it would store file metadata and thus display file info on graphic images in the dolphin preview window (which worked without nepomuk a few years ago, but they broke that too). Another reason to keep the evil trinity - as I refer to nepomuk, strigi, and akonadi - is a current bug that I ran into that spams .xsession-errors until your /home is full if you turn it off.

Anyway, I am working on a new install so I didn't remove all the nepomuk junk this time, I just let it install "naturally." For some reason, it still refuses to index. If I click on the nepomuk icon I see this error:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    I see this whether or not file indexing is suspended. Another oddity is when I open System Setting to make changes to Nepomuk, it takes 10-20 seconds to respond when I click on the nepomuk settings icon. There's nothing in the log files about this either.

I'd like to do a manual kill and restart of the services to see any errors in the console, but I'm unsure of which to kill/restart.

Please Read Me

You have a 'networked' system at home, yes? Running samba or such? I'm wondering if that is contributing to the problem; that the indexing is attempting to 'connect' and index one or more of your networked PC's.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I do have networking services, but those folders are excluded from indexing (supposedly).

I did check another user on my system and it works as expected so it does have something to do with my user. I went through all settings files I could find and compared with the other user and they all looked identical (minus user directories).

Please Read Me

Comment

By chance to you have Desktop Query > Removable media handling: set to something other than Ignore all removable media for your user?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope, it was on ignore.

Sorry to say I gave up trying to figure it out. I removed everything from ~/.kde related to nepomuk and it started working fine after a re-log in. I usually prefer to actually "solve" problems but I just couldn't commit more effort to this issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

Dell Optiplex 330, 1.6GHz Dual CPU, 2GBs ram.
            I assume you have just installed Kubuntu 12.04 and are having problems with the Nepomuk file indexing, but are you having problems using the "Find" function in Dolphin, or is it actually not indexing files after you configue it initially. I have just had similar problems and have found a reason. I could not use "Find" in Dolphin on the file I had open. My files were being indexed. But, I found that if before a search, I rightclicked the Nepomuk tray icon and clicked the "Configue file indexing" and then disabled the "Nepomuk Semantic Desktop". click OK. Now go to the file you want to use "Find" on, and it will work. Later go back to the Nepomuk tray icon and "Enable" and File indexing will resume. Hope this helps. Arthur Stennett

Comment

Dell Optiplex 330, 1.6GHz Dual CPU, 2GBs ram. Concerning the above reply of mine concerning Nepomuk, it was the second box down, the "File Indexing" that I "clicked on" to clear and stop the file indexing (then Apply, then OK) whilst I did the search, then enabled it again after I had finished. I did not touch the Nepomuk Semantic Desktop box. I am sorry for giving the wrong information previously. I noticed my mistake when I used the Dolphin "Find" facility again yesterday.
              Arthur Stennett

Comment

Working...
              X