This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major update 64-bit 'CD' releases [12.04.1/2/3] intsall bugs

Wasn't sure where to post this so move it if you have to admins.

For some reason everytime there is a major update release CD issued, I have one reason or the other to do a fresh install, used to re-install that Monopoly OS©® for schizz & giggles, why not this one, fresh gets rid of bugs and bloat. Anyway, the real reason for writing this is with each update CD release, the install bugs get worse, this time I checked ONLY "Install Third Party Software", last time it was checking "Install Updates" that caused the problems. Don't get me wrong, if you started with vanilla 12.04 and diligently did the regular updates, your Kubuntu would run like a dream like mine did. What happened with 12.04.3 was when I booted to the desktop from my SSD installation (it barely made it there because of extreme LAG), I couldn't do anything, the response time between mouse clicks and the OS responding was LITERALLY 2 minutes, no joke.

So what I did was (3rd install attempt of 64-bit CD, yes, the regular download, NOT the 'alternative', I know the difference in case anybody wants to imply otherwise, and yes, I ran the media check too, which was fine, the machine itself is running fine too, just did a memory test only a few days before, the machine is VERY healthy) just left EVERYTHING unchecked at the install software choices dialogue, worked like a charm. Here's a stroke of genius, DO NOT have these options present for 'during' the install, put a couple of script icons on the desktop for updates and 3rd party for when the user gets to the 'desktop', because seriously, if Kubuntu wants to gain commercial acceptance, this isn't the way to do it, it's very embarrassing, if I were an IT person, the install disk would become an instant Frisbee©®. Just my
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 09, 2013, 06:22 PM.

Can't argue with you at all. Ubiquity (the GUI installer) has been crap for a while, at least here. You would think that the INSTALLER would be a top priority, wouldn't you?

Please Read Me

Comment

The simple and quick fix while they fix the problem is the desktop icon scripts, other distros do it, the lag was insane, my machine might be getting a little old but it's still very powerful, absolutely no need for that whatsoever. Doesn't matter anyway, I finally conquered the 'fake Raid' install hurdle in Debian, not going to wait for the Mir/Wayland/Ubuntu repository license kerfuffle (Mint) to hit the fan, Mepis was my first full time stand alone OS distro (Debian under the hood), was going to go with Manjaro but that's learning new command line all over again, I'm already at 'home' with Debian (no pun intended). Going back to my GNU roots (again, no pun intended), Ubuntu is getting too proprietary and snoopy.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
        The simple and quick fix while they fix the problem is the desktop icon scripts, other distros do it, the lag was insane, my machine might be getting a little old but it's still very powerful, absolutely no need for that whatsoever. Doesn't matter anyway, I finally conquered the 'fake Raid' install hurdle in Debian, not going to wait for the Mir/Wayland/Ubuntu repository license kerfuffle (Mint) to hit the fan, Mepis was my first full time stand alone OS distro (Debian under the hood), was going to go with Manjaro but that's learning new command line all over again, I'm already at 'home' with Debian (no pun intended). Going back to my GNU roots (again, no pun intended), Ubuntu is getting too proprietary and snoopy.
        Again, I'm right there with you. Due to personal reasons (moving cross-country) I will stay with Kubuntu at 14.04 but from there, I will likely be moving on. It's been a nice ride; my first install was 9.04. I've stuck with Kubuntu longer than any other distro.

Please Read Me

Comment

@oshunluvr...I did "move on", KDE only on PURE Debian testing, installed the base system, system tools only (no DE, print server, etc)...apt-get install kde-full, the rest is history. It's a lot of fiddling around, not for newbs or the faint of heart, had a few scares and there's only ONE bug, lol, once I got the Brother printer driver installed, they System Settings printing module crashes after I enter my password, not a big deal because the printer works. Other than that, have all the repos set to testing, might not be cutting edge but it's basically what I had with Kubuntu but without the branding, etc, no Google everywhere, etc, I hate Google now, the Noscript Iceweasel plugin reports Google sniffing my digital underwear EVERYWHERE I go, that rubs mah ruhbarb, lol.

I was actually shocked I got it installed on my dual SSD Raid 0, the Debian code fairies have been busy, lol, but same old trick though, format the 'fakeraid/hardware raid' to prep it for XP for example, with a 3rd party disk utility, whatever works! The first install attempt actually loaded grub on to the Raid and it worked but I borked that so the second install without running the format tool had to write to the standalone storage drive sda, not a big deal either, have sda set for first boot priority.

I tried the Gnome 3.8.x that ships with Debian, it was disgusting, they went overboard with the minimalist nonsense, you can't do ANYTHING in that noise, no right click, not even window view settings, bizarre, and the constant smacking the corners for menus or desktops, that'll give ya Carpal tunnel syndrome in a hurry, again, bizarre. Anyway, off to PURE KDE/Debian land, it sure is different.

One final note, I've come to the conclusion that most distros are not REALLY compiled, they're just somebody's idea of how an OS should look and feel, I could package what I just did, add some proprietary artwork and call it a distro, lol, something like KDEbianⒸⓇ.
          Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 13, 2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X