Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would really suck. Ive become such a huge fan of Opera, but that love would end very quickly I think if Facebook bought Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by weha View Post
      Should Facebook buy Opera, what will you do ? http://my.opera.com/community/forums...dml?id=1409562
      I would ditch it - reluctantly. Very sad if that happens.
      :cry:
      I would ditch it, too, unfortunately.

Comment

Very likely I would too FB isn't something I'd want to support. Though I've used Opera for many years and am using Opera-Next now on a daily basis.

Comment

Where there's smoke there's fire. ?

Opera Jumps Most on Record After Report of Facebook’s Interest

Comment

Curious article. I don't understand the following statement:

Chief Executive Officer Lars Boilesen has expanded Opera to 150 million users a month by targeting faster-growing markets such as Russia and Indonesia where it is one of the cheapest way to access the Internet, he said in an interview in February.
            How does a browser lower or raise the cost of Internet access?

Two paragraphs later we see:

"To become a real power player in the consumer technology market, you need to have a strong presence in the devices themselves," Cripps said in an interview. "The Web browser might be the best route in that it gives you the ability to do a lot of what you can do with an operating system: you can run apps and app stores through the Web browser."
            People accessing Facebook already have browsers, obviously. So that's not an answer.

Comment

I dont understand this one:
              Opera is the last major independent browser left, with the others owned by companies such as Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), Google Inc. (GOOG) and Apple Inc. (AAPL), said Aleksander Nilsen, an analyst at Abg Sundal Collier in Oslo.
              As far as I know, Firefox is owned by Mozilla which is independently owned. It receives some funding from Google, but is not owned by Google. Am I wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                Firefox is owned by Mozilla which is independently owned. It receives some funding from Google, but is not owned by Google. Am I wrong??
                The majority (I forget the exact percentage and can't check now) of Mozilla's funding comes from Google, who pays Mozilla to be Firefox's default search engine. Pull that plug and, well, poof.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Pull that plug and, well, poof.
                  I hope that will not happen in favour of Chrome.
                  Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Facebook removes Google Chrome from supported browsers.

http://techcovered.blogspot.com/2012...rome-from.html

Comment

In related news:

Twitter removes support for coal-based electricity

1 April 2013, San Francisco-- Today, in a measure intended to increase development of sustainable energy, Twitter will immedately refuse any incoming tweets that have been created on computers powered by electricity delivered from coal-fired power plants. "We can no longer permit this wanton abuse of the planet's dwindling resources and constant dessecration of the atmosphere," tweeted @RalphRoisterdoister, Twitter's vice president of sustainability. "By taking this bold step of requiring all tweets to be sourced from renewable energy, we hope to encourage more granola munchers to use our services and discourage rapacious corporate polluters." @ladygaga, @justinbieber, @barackobama, and @kimkardashian immedately RT'ed @RalphRoisterdoister's pronouncement in a show of broad community support. Beginning tomorrow, @newegg will begin listing home windmills and rooftop solar generators, complete with eSATA and miniDVI ports.

Comment

Crap. I just found out that Opera owns Fastmail. I recently switched my primary email address to Fastmail. So....if Facebook buys Opera, facebook would be in charge of Fastmail. There goes my internet browser and my email address....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                          Crap. I just found out that Opera owns Fastmail. I recently switched my primary email address to Fastmail. So....if Facebook buys Opera, facebook would be in charge of Fastmail. There goes my internet browser and my email address....
                          I spent a few hours last night learning Postfix and Dovecot. I have a spare laptop that I'm going turn into an email server and run it behind my cable modem. I've already registered a domain name and set up DNS through Dyn to handle the issue of dynamic public IPs. So far, I'm liking what I see, but it sure has a learning curve.

Oh, and I bumped up a tier on Comcast. Check this out:

Sometimes I've seen downloads as high as 65 Mb/s. I'm happy

Comment

I am using Opera on Kubuntu for browsing and also for e-mails. Operas builtin e-mail client is really really good.

Comment

Shucks... where is the "Green With Envy" icon when you need it?

I'm paying $52/mo for 15Mb/s. Spoil my whole day and tell me that you are getting 65Mb/s for $75/mo.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                I'm paying $52/mo for 15Mb/s. Spoil my whole day and tell me that you are getting 65Mb/s for $75/mo.
                                It's $99/mo. It recently dropped from $150. Previously, I was paying $65/mo for 33 Mb/s down, 6 Mb/s up.

Comment

Working...
                                X