This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Opera is my new browser for Kubuntu 12.04

Like many, I've been frustrated by the lack of integration of Firefox with KDE. I know this is not Kubuntu's fault, but it is still frustrating. I have been using rekonq and it works, for the most part, but still crashes occasionally and for many sites I visit, I have to change the browser id. So then I decided to try Opera, again. It had been a few years since I used Opera.

I must say I am impressed with how well it works under Kubuntu. It uses the KDE dialogs and looks like a KDE app. It performs as well, if not better than Firefox, but probably a little slower than chromium. However, the number one feature which is making switch to Opera is that I can set individual browser ids for individual sites. For instance, Google sites don't really recognize anything but IE, Safari and FIrefox. So for Google sites, Opera identifies itself as Firefox and it works flawlessly. My banking site requires IE, so I run XP in virtualbox just to access it. Guess what? I told Opera to report itself as IE for my bank and it works flawlessly. There are a few others that I could go on about, but you get the point.

I haven't given up on rekonq or the others, but for now, Opera seems to be the best fit for me and Kubuntu.

FYI, setting individual browser ID's is available in Rekonq-git here... Tools > BrowserSettings > BrowserIdentification > BrowserIdentification

Rekonq-git is available in Sumski's KDE Goodies PPA,

Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

0.9.57 is the daily build of rekonq. The current stable version is 0.9.2. I hesitated to add the repository for the daily build because I wasn't sure what other packages it would bring in that might then cause a conflict with other applications having the wrong versions (maybe not today, but what about tomorrow or the next day?). The feature actually exists even in 0.9.1 which ships with 12.04 except that the options for identification are really old and too old to work with some of the sites I need (Firefox is all 3.x series for instance).

Comment

I love Opera! Its been my browser of choice for a few months now. The only problem I have is that sometimes the plugin container crashes. Its not really a big deal though...you just have to refresh the page your on.

Comment

Hi all...

Yes, Opera works very well in Kubuntu, at least that's been my experience, too. the only problem I had with it was that the buttons and/or menus on a few pages didn't work. I'm guessing this had to do how Opera interpreted the code.

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Kubuntu Forum members are using: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ubuntu-browser

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Although that poll was pre 12.04 before firefox lost kde support and 54 respondents probably isn't enough of a sample to be statistically valid.

Comment

Yes, Opera is also my main browser.
                Question: can you get it to play trailers on iTunes .. http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/
                In the past I could play them in both Firefox and Opera, now with 12.04 only in rekonq.

Comment

Originally posted by weha View Post
                  Yes, Opera is also my main browser.
                  Question: can you get it to play trailers on iTunes .. http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/
                  In the past I could play them in both Firefox and Opera, now with 12.04 only in rekonq.
                  Forgive the tone of the question, I'm really just curious: Out of all the nearly infinite places on the web to watch movie trailers (such as IMDB), why use iTunes? Apple products do not (and likely never will) play well with Linux.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    Forgive the tone of the question, I'm really just curious: Out of all the nearly infinite places on the web to watch movie trailers (such as IMDB), why use iTunes? Apple products do not (and likely never will) play well with Linux.
                    Ha..ha..ha; well I basically only go there to 'test' if the trailers will load and play, not interested in what is shown. For those rare occasions that I want to see
                    a trailer I use HD-Trailers or similar.
                    The point of my question was to find out if anyone here is able to play the iTunes stuff with either Firefox or Opera. Only rekonq plays them (faultlessly) which baffles
                    me as it uses the same plugins.

Comment

Tried Opera for 2 days. Can't use. Returning to Firefox

Comment

Ha..ha..ha; well I basically only go there to 'test' if the trailers will load and play, not interested in what is shown. For those rare occasions that I want to see
                        a trailer I use HD-Trailers or similar.
                        The point of my question was to find out if anyone here is able to play the iTunes stuff with either Firefox or Opera. Only rekonq plays them (faultlessly) which baffles
                        me as it uses the same plugins.
                        It does when gecko mplayer is installed and quicktime enabled. Mplayer doesn't work in Opera which is, in part, why I don't use it.

Last edited by rms; May 22, 2012, 03:57 PM.
                        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

.... find out if anyone here is able to play the iTunes stuff with either Firefox or Opera. Only rekonq plays them (faultlessly) which baffles me as it uses the same plugins.
                          Rekonq doesn't play them for me. The box turns black and the controls appear, but pressing the start triangle just changes it to a a pair of bars. No vid shows.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If I could just get Downthemall and complete Greasemonkey support in another browser, then I might be able to consider a change. The third plugin I love is FoxySpider, but I might be able to live without that one.

Comment

Should Facebook buy Opera, what will you do ? http://my.opera.com/community/forums...dml?id=1409562
                              I would ditch it - reluctantly. Very sad if that happens.
                              :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X