X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The default Kubuntu browser

Background

The Kubuntu devel: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel has an ongoing thread of the default browser for the Kubuntu:

RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...er/005675.html

There was an argument:
    99% of desktop users are using Chrome/Firefox
    I'm wondering - What browser are you using ?

Here the browser is the Opera: http://www.opera.com/.
    Rekonq
    5.88%
    Arora
    0.00%
    Konqueror
    0.00%
    Firefox
    52.94%
    Chrome
    17.65%
    Opera
    23.53%
    Something else
    0.00%
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: The default Kubuntu browser

My main browser--actually, it's a suite--is SeaMonkey. But I also have about 15 other browsers installed and occasionally use them. They include Arora, reKonq, Chrome, Firefox, Epiphany, Konqueror, Flock, Midori, Netscape, Opera, Netsurf, Amaya, Kazehakase, ELinks and Links2. I like variety.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Chromium here.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

rekonq is the default but i use firefox almost as much
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Firefox on my main Lenovo rig. Konqueror (currently) on the poor little laboratory that is my Mini.

Comment

I keep wanting to be happy with konqueror, but I keep getting seduced by all the spiffy extensions that firefox offers. I just can't help myself. Greasemonkey, mmmmmmmmm......
            linux since slack 2. kde since beta 1. kubuntu since hardy.

Comment

Firefox FTW! I even use more often on Windows too, almost exclusively. I like it's ability to save usernames/passwords, though I only have two saved (KFN and Ubuntu Forums). I'm not sure about the others as I really tried/used any of them extensively enough.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
                I like it's ability to save usernames/passwords
                I suspect that's a feature everywhere -- well, maybe not the old console-mode browsers like Lynx. I've seen password saving in the DE-based browsers like Konqueror, Rekonq, Epiphany, and Midori.

Comment

I don't really care what the default browser is, but firefox would be one of the first things to get rid of on my installations. That is of course perfectly fine, I do not expect kubuntu to come with the exact choices of software that I personally wish to use...my tastes will not fit everyone and customizing is trivial.

But I can't really agree with including firefox if that means not fitting the installation image on a CD anymore (that has worked really well so far).

As a side note, I have personally always wondered why Firefox needs a slew of third party plugins to get the same functionality that comes built into other browsers...and yet fails to be light and fast even without all the plugins. :P

Comment

Originally posted by budr
                    I keep wanting to be happy with konqueror, but I keep getting seduced by all the spiffy extensions that firefox offers. I just can't help myself. Greasemonkey, mmmmmmmmm......
                    Same here!

And I guess it's a matter of old habits die hard :/ Used FF since I don't know when and I never really took the time to reconfigure konqueror/rekonq to fit my needs. I'm happy with the install button solution to the way it is now. I also like dolphin as file browser, of which many seem to want to to have the one-in-all solution to web & file browser that is Re-/Konqueror.

Originally posted by kubicle

But I can't really agree with including firefox if that means not fitting the installation image on a CD anymore (that has worked really well so far).
                    Think this topic been up before, maybe there should be a FFinstall solution that offer several web browsers and not just FF - something like the EU settlement forced upon M$.
                    And I agree the smaller the install CD the better. I have no trouble with downloading large portions of OSs, and I would say that it ain't a biggie in the western world, but for most people on the world bandwidth is crucial, for that sake only I have to agree that leaving out many not OS dependant packages is a good thing.

Originally posted by kubicle

As a side note, I have personally always wondered why Firefox needs a slew of third party plugins to get the same functionality that comes built into other browsers...and yet fails to be light and fast even without all the plugins. :P
                    Isn't that just the way FOSS work - add-your-own kind of mentality, think it opens up many of "the unaware" about possibilities of FOSS standards (along with Mozillas statement "know your rights" popup).

Lets just say that not all hacking is done in the code - some needs to be done within the users brain ...and Mozilla is aware of it
                    Jonas
                    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I must agree with kubicle, " ... But I can't really agree with including firefox if that means not fitting the installation image on a CD anymore ..."

I happen to happily use Firefox, but it's easy (and fast) enough to get after installing Kubuntu. And the one-CD experience is a real happy plus for Kubuntu for me, thus far since 2005.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

For someone who already installed Kubuntu installing any other browser should be really easy, so it really shouldn't matter what browser comes by default, especially when that jeopardizes the Live CD and also because the browser choice depends on the user and the opinions vary a lot.

Comment

I use Firefox to browse the web, and Konqueror as my desktop file manager and documentation browser. IMHO Kubuntu should stick with KDE applications by default, but keep Firefox easily installable.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I agree with Zhao and Telengard. If the question is what's your favorite browser, there are going to be as many different opinions as there are different browsers.

BUT, if the question is what will fit on an install CD, then I think preference should always go to KDE apps.

Now we can fight over whether that means the default browser should be Konqueror or Rekonq or some other KDE browser if there is one. That's a discussion worth having. But if including FF or Chrome means leaving out some other KDE apps, I don't think that's a good idea. Ever.
                            linux since slack 2. kde since beta 1. kubuntu since hardy.

Comment

I'm trying to understand why, in the waning days of 2011, so many people seem fixated on the 670/750 MB boundary of a CD-ROM, a specification set in 26 years ago in 1985.

Re: bundling, my suggestion would be to provide two .ISOs:
                              • A "minimal" build, one that includes elements necessary to install a functioning OS, get on a network, browse the web, and set up email
                              • A "full" build, including all the other elements that a particular distro wishes to include

This eliminates the arbitrary "must fit on a CD" limit and also helps those in bandwidth-constrained locations obtain only what they need without downloading too much extra stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X