This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    KWallet is so much more useful when you configure it not to use a password. Right-click your wallet, choose Change password, leave the password fields blank, and click OK. Click Yes on the subsequent nag screen.
    +1

Unfortunately, this is not a trick that most new users learn right away.

KWallet can be useful, but it has a steep learning curve, and it is NOT very useful for networking...

For all networking, I agree to use only "blank" passwords when prompted by KWallet.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

[QUOTE=perspectoff;299417]....This is the first version that I DO NOT recommend going to Wicd -- stick with Network Manager for both wired and wireless connections, for both dynamic (DHCP-assigned) and static IP addressing.
      [quote]

+1

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
      There is no question -- Kubuntu Precise Pangolin is killer! I'd be very happy to stick with this one for 5 years (grin).
      In one more year I will pass my SuSE record (4 yrs) for the longest time I've stayed with a distro. I, too, will be staying with Precise the entire 5 years. It's hard to improve on perfect!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

KWallet is so much more useful when you configure it not to use a password. Right-click your wallet, choose Change password, leave the password fields blank, and click OK. Click Yes on the subsequent nag screen.
        Thank you... I didn't know this trick!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Neither did I, so I uninstalled kwallet.
          Hmmm, I heard that knetwork manager would not connect without kwallet. Plus I have ubuntu one working and it requires gnome keyring. I wonder if I can uninstall kwallet without issue? By the way I have already removed wicd and went back to knetwork manager. Thanks for the idea. I will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
            Hmmm, I heard that knetwork manager would not connect without kwallet.
            I haven't tried this, but according to this setting, it appears NetworkManager should work without KWallet.

Comment

Okay I used the trick by changing to a blank password. That works great thanks. Had to login into unity and do the same trick with gnome keyring and ubuntu one still works. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

I haven't tried this, but according to this setting, it appears NetworkManager should work without KWallet.

I think this was a bug I had read about over a year ago, but this is nice to know thanks.

Comment

I upgraded from 11.10. The process went through without a hitch. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by id5.1 View Post
                    I upgraded from 11.10. The process went through without a hitch. Awesome!
                    Cool, it looks like a lot of new members around here. Pretty cool!

Comment

Update... I'm still REALLY happy! Started using KTorrent instead of Transmission, rTorrent or Deluge... what a step up! Next exploration will be Quassel vs XChat.

Comment

Perspectoff mentioned on May 23rd that WICD keeps crashing so should not be used and replaced with network manager. In my opinion, all know the problems associated with network manager and therefore, it's best to stick to WICD.

In my case with 64 bit 12.04, I also had WICD Crashing problem. What I did is to uninstall WICD-KDE and install WICD. This works perfectly without crashing, of course interface looks a bit different. But it avoids the problems associated with network manager.

Comment

I've been a firm advocate of WICD too, but I occasionally check out NM to see if any improvements have been made. In the case of Precise Alpha, on Jan 3rd, NM was, as usual, installed. I decided to check it out. It has come a long way, and has been behaving well for me. So, I stayed with it and have not been disappointed. I checked the "system" box so that I could get a network if I needed to boot into "root with network" if one of my "explorations" borked by system and I needed network access as root to repair it. It worked well when I got into a login-xserver crash cycle caused by a bad sector on the HD, and I needed to reinstall some package and regenerate the ~./kde directory.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                          X