X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Far, So Good!

I've installed on three machines so far:

Dell XPS17 Laptop (Intel Core i7) - Only issue is that my wifi card won't do WPA/WPA2. I'm surviving on WEP and looking for a small, but compatible wifi dongle until a correction gets released.

Home built MSI/AMD Phenom X4 home server - Only issue was with nVidia graphics, but I have posted a solution here.

My son's Gateway Athlon64x2/ATI laptop - No issues.

I still have 7 more machines to load...

My work machine (Gigabyte/AMD Athlon64x4), my work server (MSI/AMD Athlon64x2), my daughter's machine (Dell Latitude Laptop Athlon64x2), my wife's machine (Gateway Athlon64x2), my mom's machine (ECS/Athlon64) and two other sundry machines at work (Old Dell Dimensions).

I have been exceptionally happy with the quality of this build so far. No showstoppers and released at the perfect time to avoid that horrible experience known as Gnome3. I lasted a total of 3 days with that mess (Unity or Gnome-Shell... I hate it!) I'm just so happy that KDE 4.8 is so much better than 4.5... the timing couldn't be more spot on!

I will keep everyone apprised of my progress as this is a fairly good random sampling of different machines/hardware/vintages.

I have NEVER loved a Linux destop environment so much in my life! I've been on Linux for 8 years now... and this is the coolest distro I have ever used. Yes, I still have a few bugs to work out, but I'm devoted to Kubuntu... at least for now ;-)

Comment

+1
      (Best I've used in 14 years!)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to stop and admire this whole concept. Free (as in Freedom) software. When it comes together like it does in Kubuntu you can be left speechless. In Hillary's words (I'm, no fan here, just quoting) It takes a (global, dedicated, passionate, intelligent, articulate, driven, and selfless) villiage.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

As a longtime Mandrake/Mandriva/ Mageia user I can declare that Kubuntu is the best KDE distro at present.
          So I migrated to it. :-)
          Each hardware is working without any problem. Even under Mandriva non-working mobile modem and problematic broadcom wifi started working at once.

Comment

Installed it on my Toshiba Satellite L750 and my 21" Mac Core2 duo with ReFit. Both machines are working perfect. The only hiccup is that the bluetooth Apple keyboard and mouse won't connect, but i can live without them.
            I have been a Linux user, on and off since, the Caldera Linux days and this is by far, for me, the best release i have used. Congratulations to the team for an exellent release!
            sigpic

Comment

I have to agree the timing couldn't be better. Unity and Gnome do suck. I tried them both extensively. I have used Kubuntu in the past but there were always glitches that made me just not like the stability. This release is very stable. All though I keep getting a notification that WICD closed unexpectedly when I shut down but WICD isnt actually official KDE software.

Comment

I have been having good results with 12.04's NetworkManager. During the beta period there were times when it would "disconnect" every few minutes. The NM showed the connection was up, but all websites would fail to connect, and pinging Google would return nothing. I had to disconnect my AP then then reconnect. But, that was a couple months ago. Now, once every two or three days, it shows a speed instability, throttling between 150mb/s and 50mb/s. Then it goes away.

A week ago I decided to see how wicd works. I installed all the wicd packages and remove all the NM packages. Wicd crashed trying to install the daemon. There was an error with a Python 2.7 script. I stuck my eth cable in, removed wicd and reinstalled NM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have to admit, I'm extremely impressed with 12.04. It's the most stable Linux distro I've ever used! I've got it installed on my hand built computer and my wife's hp laptop and both seem to run flawlessly. All the programs that I depend on have installed without any problem.

Before I installed 12.04, I was seriously considering going back to Windows simply because I have a Windows computer that runs pretty much flawlessly. But then I remembered that I only used it ever now and then and barely do any hard computing with it, so chances are that as soon as I used windows to the extent that I use Linux that it would break shortly there after. So I was dearly hoping 12.04 was worth the wait. It sure was!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    I have been having good results with 12.04's NetworkManager. During the beta period there were times when it would "disconnect" every few minutes. The NM showed the connection was up, but all websites would fail to connect, and pinging Google would return nothing. I had to disconnect my AP then then reconnect. But, that was a couple months ago. Now, once every two or three days, it shows a speed instability, throttling between 150mb/s and 50mb/s. Then it goes away.

A week ago I decided to see how wicd works. I installed all the wicd packages and remove all the NM packages. Wicd crashed trying to install the daemon. There was an error with a Python 2.7 script. I stuck my eth cable in, removed wicd and reinstalled NM.
                    I may need to do the same thing. I just don't like putting a password in the wallet everytime.

Comment

Been using Kubuntu 12.04 for a few days now, very impressive, best iteration of KDE I've ever used--good job!

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
                        I may need to do the same thing. I just don't like putting a password in the wallet everytime.
                        Neither did I, so I uninstalled kwallet.

Comment

Well this is the best/easiest Kubuntu upgrade for me yet. I was worried on the networking since I don't broadcast my SSID and it did not want to connect with the live-cd without the broadcast. Although with 11.10, I had to turn on the SSID broadcast for the first connection, then afterwards it would connect without the broadcast. After the upgrade it connected even though SSID not being broadcast. I did not do a clean new install, but just an upgrade and the upgrade did a better job than earlier releases on keeping my existing software selections that were installed. Just my 2 cents. :-)

Comment

KWallet is so much more useful when you configure it not to use a password. Right-click your wallet, choose Change password, leave the password fields blank, and click OK. Click Yes on the subsequent nag screen.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
                              All though I keep getting a notification that WICD closed unexpectedly when I shut down but WICD isnt actually official KDE software.
                              I have been a long-time Wicd user, but you're right -- Wicd keeps crashing on me. Fortunately, Network Manager just works (for me for the first time) in Precise Pangolin, and works like a charm.

This is the first version that I DO NOT recommend going to Wicd -- stick with Network Manager for both wired and wireless connections, for both dynamic (DHCP-assigned) and static IP addressing.

Interestingly, Network Manager even recognises by default if you are using a manual configuration (in /etc/network/interfaces ) and if you are (i.e. there are values set in that file), then it politely leaves itself disabled. Wow!

There is no question -- Kubuntu Precise Pangolin is killer! I'd be very happy to stick with this one for 5 years (grin).
                              Last edited by perspectoff; May 22, 2012, 10:20 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                              and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X