This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing on a RAID 1.

My older PowerMac G5 died, and I left the Mac OS for a box running BSD. Both the MacOS and BSD will setup a RAID 1 if you have 2 identical drives installed. I believe that would be a software RAID. I have generally felt this is safe and secure setup.

I do not see anything like that in the Kubuntu installer. The documentation I have read about this makes it appear to be a huge chore. Is there a simple straight forward easy way to do this or is this even considered a good setup for Kubuntu.

bill

Since no one has answered yet ... I know nothing confidently about RAID. But there is Linux support for software RAID (as I'm sure you know), and I think there is Ubuntu installer support for lvm (which does part of the job), and post-install support for mdadm.

I assume you're asking about the *buntu installer specifically, not general Linux RAID support? (It won't be Kubuntu specific. If it's there at all it will be in the underlying OS common to all buntus.)
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I was asking about the Kubuntu installer. It appears from what I have read that it is necessary to setup the raid first and after it has been setup you can then install Kubuntu on the RAID.

bill

Comment

I don't think the Ubiquity installer will do raid. The way I've done it is to install first, then use mdadm (software RAID) to create the RAID1 device and let it populate the second drive (just like you've read about). The Alternate installer CD has mdadm on it so you can use it to create and install to a RAID but with RAID level 1 it's easier to do it the other way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Installation/SoftwareRAID - Community Ubuntu Documentation

If you're building a server, the server install CD includes the necessary options.

If you're building a desktop then you need the "Alternate" install CD for Ubuntu.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I was looking for an easy one click option in the installer. I understand that it is not that simple, but there are tools available to create such a setup. For the time being I went ahead and installed 12.04.1 to a single drive using the default options in the installer.

Thanks for everyone's pointers.

bill

Comment

Working...
            X