This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up dual boot with Kubuntu and Arch Linux

I currently have Arch Linux installed and would like to install Kubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot. I see the "Prepare Partitions" section of the install but I am not sure what to do. I see the following:

/dev/sda
    > /dev/sda1
    > /dev/sda2
    > /dev/sda3
    > /dev/sda4

Can someone please help me set up the partitions for a dual boot?

First, if you really want help: post more information on your computer so anyone else can see what we're working with.

Or, figure out which partitions are being used by arch so you don't wipe it out.
    Then, install to the unused partitions.

Please Read Me

Comment

This should be quite straight forward, install kubuntu to the partition which you want to use (give up more info about your disks if you want more help with this) then you have a choice:
      1) you can install the boot loader (gru2) for kubuntu which should pick up archlinux and add it to the menu (this will overwrite the archlinux bootloader) or
      2) you can skip the installation for the kubuntu boot loader and update the archlinux bootloader configs to include kubuntu.

#2 depends on if you are using grub or grub2 for archlinux which until recently used grub as the default but now use grub2.

As for the getting more information on your disk layout post the output of
      Code:
      sudo parted -l
      and possibly
      Code:
      mount #this one should be done from your archlinux install not the live cd

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
        2) you can skip the installation for the kubuntu boot loader and update the archlinux bootloader configs to include kubuntu.

#2 depends on if you are using grub or grub2 for archlinux which until recently used grub as the default but now use grub2.
        the last time I used the Kubuntu installer you could not chose to skip the boot loader installation it had to go somewhere.

I got around it over righting my mane installs grub installation by installing it to the install partition (/dev/sda5) instead of the MBR/or/sda (forget how it listed it)

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          the last time I used the Kubuntu installer you could not chose to skip the boot loader installation it had to go somewhere.

I got around it over righting my mane installs grub installation by installing it to the install partition (/dev/sda5) instead of the MBR/or/sda (forget how it listed it)
          Hmm, you are right. They seem to have removed that option.

Comment

Working...
          X