Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are using 'hardware Raid', you will want to read this...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are using 'hardware Raid', you will want to read this...

I have 5 drives on an Intel ICH10R controller, 4 of which are 320GB each, those are the Raid 0 drives, now, this is not a question, but a suggested workaround (worked for me anyway). I have been fighting with different distros (not the people, installing, lol) since 2006, trying to get them to run on 'hardware Raid'. What I have discovered is (and don't take this the wrong way, Linux code writers) partition managers and formatters in installation distro disks can't handle a newly created (raw) Raid volumes (aka, fakeraid, bios drive, whatever you want to call it), so what I did was created a new Raid 'drive' with the Intel bios utility (I named it lin_raid, distros don't like numbers in the volume name, probably because the Linux device mapper adds a number to the name for its own identifying purposes), then I used a Seagate DiscWizard HDD setup utility (which you can get here http://lug.mtu.edu/ubcd/ubcd511.iso on Ultimate Boot CD 5.11) to 'prepare' (creates a typical MBR, crucial for the Grub overwrite, and a single bootable formatted partition) the Raid 0 volume for Windows XP SP1 or greater (lol, as if), anyway, it would appear that Kubuntu (and other distros) love to 'overwrite' existing MBRs and partitions but fail miserably when faced with a new 'raw' drive (not 'laid out' first by a third party utility). So I pop in the Kubuntu 12.04 disk AFTER setting up the drive with the Seagate utility, go straight to the installer and chose 'Guided, use entire disk', dropped the list down and chose the Raid 0 volume, everything installed automatically (I selected install non-free but NOT the updates, they can be done once Kubuntu is on the hard drive) and Grub was installed seamlessly to the MBR of the Raid drive.

Location of Seagate DiscWizard on the Ultimate Boot CD: starting at the main menu (if you go to a wrong menu item by mistake, hit Escape and then Enter, it wil take you back to the last menu)....HDD/Installation/DiscWizard V11.0.8326 (takes about a minute to load)/Tools/Add New Disc (I chose XP SP1 or higher, worked for me, let DiscWizard format the partition as NTFS, the Kubuntu disk will automatically reformat it to Ext 4 afterwards). Exiting DiscWizard when you are done immediately shuts the computer down, this is normal.

One final note, I was using Linux Mint 10 for a while on the Raid but it had a restart bug (software restart from the menu), it would knock the first drive of the Raid out causing a fail so I used to shutdown and use the physical power button to boot back in to Mint, why am I telling you this? Because the bug is gone in Kubuntu 12.04, I am happily restarting from the menu again and no Raid fail.

So not only do I have a smokin' fast installation, it's pretty and LTS as a bonus, whoohoo, no more messing around for FIVE YEARS! lol
    Last edited by tek_heretik; May 03, 2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: Added link and improved details

UPDATE! It would appear the installer likes to have an 'sda' (non-RAID drive, specifically port 0) on the same controller to either write grub or fstab to, I recently upgraded to a dual SSD RAID 0 and had the same issue, worked fine after putting my storage drive back on port 0 (not included in the RAID), the SSDs on port 1 and 2.

Disclaimer: I don't know for sure how or why this glitch occurs, just pure guessing, but I found a work around.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 04, 2013, 09:37 AM. Reason: Disclaimer

Comment

I used gparted to create a software raid array (RAID0), installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server and it installed the software raid driver when I chose the drive(s) to install the root on. I did have to make a separate boot partition and installed the MBR there. I then upgraded to 13.04 and installed "Kubuntu-Full".

From reading what you wrote, it makes it sound like I reached around my back to scratch my elbow....
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

IMO, unless you are dual booting windows on the same computer, there is no reason at all to use hardware RAID. Linux software RAID is much easier to do and maintain and recover if necessary.

Please Read Me

Comment

Meh, it works, and that is what it's there for. I am squeezing what life I can out of an aging computer, and I succeeded, the screenshot I posted in the Pre-install thread is proof of that, I am getting double the read speeds over the old 4 HDD RAID 0. This is my thing, pulling 'stunts' with computers, lol, computers aren't just for email and shady internet content, lol some more.

Also, I updated this in case there are other 'enthusiasts' like me that may stumble in here.
          Last edited by tek_heretik; Aug 04, 2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
            whoohoo, no more messing around for FIVE YEARS! lol
            Anyone really believe this?

*crickets*

Yeah, thought so.

Comment

All I can say is, if you're using hardware RAID on an old computer - make a backup. 'nuff said.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                All I can say is, if you're using hardware RAID on an old computer - make a backup. 'nuff said.
                See updated sig. I NEVER leave anything important on a RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                  I NEVER leave anything important on a RAID.
                  Uh, isn't the purpose of RAID to provide redundancy so that device failure is less likely to lead directly to data loss?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Uh, isn't the purpose of RAID to provide redundancy so that device failure is less likely to lead directly to data loss?
                    RAID1 = redundancy without performance
                    RAID0 = performance without redundancy

Note tek mentions RAID0

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Note tek mentions RAID0
                      Derp. I missed that.

Comment

Working...
                      X