X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem on dual boot menu - windows 8.1 not loading

Hi everybody!
    I'm new on this linux world.

this is the data: Asus Laptop, intel core i5 1.7GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD. Graphic Nvidia Geforce 740M 2GB.
    As i mentioned before, Windows8.1 and Kubuntu 12.04 - 64 bit.

I installed the Kubuntu, and after some problems i have the Kubuntu running. The Windows also runs, but to do it have to change boot option in the UEFI.

situation:
    GNU GRUB version 1.99-21ubuntu 3.14

with the options on boot menu:

- Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda2)
    - Windows 8 (loader) (on /dev/sda4)

i get this message:
    Warning: "error: unknown command 'drivemap'
    error: invalid EFI file path "

so, i need help on this. what can i do/check so that you can help me?

any help?

Comment

I know that you haven't gotten any replies yet, but do be patient. SteveRiley is our resident 'expert' on UEFI and dual-booting setup with it. He has been busy with his real life and is catching up with forum stuff.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I know that you haven't gotten any replies yet, but do be patient. SteveRiley is our resident 'expert' on UEFI and dual-booting setup with it. He has been busy with his real life and is catching up with forum stuff.
        OK. Thank you Snowhog!

Comment

cjusto, sorry, I also can not help you -- I'm still learning this stuff, too; in fact bought a laptop with UEFI on it and will soon be in the same spot you are in!

My opinion is that this is not serious. Invalid path, etc. And drivemap is just a GRUB command that is useful when Windows is involved, not a big deal--I think. SteveRiley may know how to get into the EFI System Partition and perform the surgery required to get that path and command straight; or maybe re-install GRUB; or even get rid of GRUB and try another way. Hang on for awhile.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I think the solution is to use rEFInd boot manager instead of grub. Search the forum, I'm pretty sure Steve has already addressed this topic.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not sure if you're still around, cjusto. And I have a little hesitancy recommending this, but here goes. I have seen many people using Boot-Repair, even with UEFI implementations. It might work fine for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

You might try it. BUT ... you might also read this first:

Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux:
              Repairing Boot Repair

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloa...ootrepair.html

That link will also give you other good ideas about UEFI (like the links to the rest of his site; and he is an authority on this subject).

As you know, UEFI implantations are fairly new, so this booting game is still somewhat of a crap-shoot.

(Btw, Rod Smith is the author of the rEFInd boot manager.)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Qqmike!!

i'll check the links you refer.

if i get any solution, i will comment on that.

Comment

Hi, cjusto. Apologies for being away so long. Let us know if BootRepair fixes your problem. If not, we can work through some other options.

Comment

HI guys!!

finally i had time to solve this problem.

So, thank you very much. it worked.

i used boot-repair.
                    first i got the boot info. http://paste.ubuntu.com/7095425/

then i repaired using the "recommended repair".
                    before quitting, i created the boot info summary.
                    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7095432/

it's visible the diference:

before:
                    Code:
                    sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
                        Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: FAT32
                        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
                        Operating System:  
                        Boot files:        /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi
                    and after:

Code:
                    sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
                        Boot sector type:  Windows 8/2012: FAT32
                        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
                        Operating System:  
                        Boot files:        /EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi 
                                           /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi 
                                           /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi

it's working fine!

thanks again

Comment

Whew ... we lucked out on this one! (Just kidding, but we did, you know.)

I don't fully understand all of it. I did notice you've got a nice roomy (large) EFI System Partition on sda1, some 315 MB, and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see "drivemap" used anywhere now, though I may have missed it in all that output. You got some backups placed in your EFI System Partition. I'm sure if Steve has time, he would catch important stuff, but what counts is that it works, right?
                      Glad you figured out how to get this going, cjusto.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        Whew ... we lucked out on this one! (Just kidding, but we did, you know.)

I don't fully understand all of it. I did notice you've got a nice roomy (large) EFI System Partition on sda1, some 315 MB, and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see "drivemap" used anywhere now, though I may have missed it in all that output. You got some backups placed in your EFI System Partition. I'm sure if Steve has time, he would catch important stuff, but what counts is that it works, right?
                        Glad you figured out how to get this going, cjusto.
                        yes!

by now, it's working and it's what i need.

as long as i get into it, i'll learn more, and ask more.

thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X