Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop freezes ── despite trouble-free installation!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop freezes ── despite trouble-free installation!

Greetings from Ireland! Having just completed a trouble-free, clean new installation of Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, and then having logged in successfully with my password, I am both dismayed and puzzled thereupon to be faced with an unresponsive and virtually frozen KDE desktop.

OK, the screen itself looks just as a Kubuntu desktop should look, with application launcher, clipboard, sound volume, correct time/date, etc, at the bottom of the screen. But when I go to click on the application launcher, nothing whatsoever happens; likewise also, when I try to left- or right-click anything else which normally would be clickable on a KDE screen. But, no, the desktop has all but frozen up on me, preventing any further human interaction! Grrrr!

Then unexpectedly, 30 seconds or so later, the Kubuntu application launcher yawns and comes out of its catnap slumber. However, as if in protest, it makes only a PARTIAL appearance, lest it be viewed on-screen with its trousers down! I persist, until after further long waits, the application launcher reappears eventually, this time properly dressed. But any optimism on my part is dispelled quickly, when I discover that, despite much a-clicking, no way can I open up ANY application whatsoever, nor indeed venture at all beyond Favourites to any of the other four options. Thus, unable to proceed further and also prevented from logging-out correctly, I have no alternative but to switch off my PC, restart with the original install/live DVD, and enter the Rescue mode.

Original DVD integrity and memory tests pass with flying colours; no hard-disc partitioning had been necessary during installation, due to my having allocated the entirety of a brand new HDD to Kubuntu; so I decide to try a different root file system.

I decide on /dev/sda2, but I am notified this failed to mount; so I opt instead for /dev/sda1, which gives me the thumbs-up. I reboot the system, log in again successfully, but annoyingly face again exactly the same freeze-up problem I have described above. So I am back to square one and I am not really sure now just what other tests usefully I should perform.

I should mention here that this clean new Kubuntu 12.04 LTS installation was made on a brand-new 1TB Western Digital ‘Red’ NAS SATA 64MB-cache Hard Drive #WD10EFRX, which conveniently I happened to have as a spare. My original idea had been to use two such NAS discs in a two-disc RAID-1 set-up within my Siemens desktop PC, but subsequently I decided abandon this methodology in favour of X-RAID within a 4-bay Netgear NAS. This frees up my desktop PC for all-Linux dual-booting.

My understanding from Western Digital's website is that their ‘Red’ NAS hard drives can be used also in desktop PCs. Correct? If not, could this be the cause of the above Kubuntu freeze-up?

Fellow penguins, I shall appreciate very much some kind, knowledgeable citizens of Planet Kubuntu advising me, please, just what I may be doing wrongly and just how best I may be able fix this wholly unexpected post-installation problem. For your information, my PC system “techspecs” are as shown below. Thank you very kindly, folks!

MagnifiKat

----------------

Siemens “Esprimo” P5616 desktop | Fujitsu D2461-A12 micro-BTX mobo |
    KDE 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6" | Linux 2.6.37.6-24-desktop x86_64 |
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2·4GHz dual-core CPU | DVD SuperMulti |
    2GB DDR2-667MHz dual-channel RAM | nVidia MCP51 Ethernet |
    nVidia GeForce 7300LE 256MB TrueMemory | openSüSE 11.4 (X86-64) |

My guess: Somethings going on in the background that's hogging all your CPU power or RAM or both. Try booting up, but not logging into the desktop. Then hit CTRL-ALT-F1 and logging into the terminal. Then run the command top and see if anything looks unusual - as in super power-hungry. If not, leave top running and type CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the log in screen and log in. Once the desktop behaves as you're describing, CTRL-ALT-F1 again and see if anything is running at 90%+.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      My guess: Something's going on in the background that's hogging all your CPU power or RAM or both. Try booting up, but not logging into the desktop. Then hit CTRL-ALT-F1 and logging into the terminal. Then run the command top and see if anything looks unusual - as in super power-hungry. If not, leave top running and type CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the log in screen and log in. Once the desktop behaves as you're describing, CTRL-ALT-F1 again and see if anything is running at 90%+.
      Thank you,oshunluvr, for your kind reply and for your very clear instructions, which I have followed most carefully.

There is definitely something very strange indeed happening with Kubuntu 12.04 LTS because when, as you suggested, I logged in to the terminal, it is the strangest terminal ever I did see. It consists only of weird hieroglyphics (such as I have never seen before) on a totally WHITE screen! These are definitely not Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Russian or Thai; nor are they any form of shorthand I know of; certainly not Pitman (which I write), Teeline or Gregg.

Nevertheless, I am certain I had managed to reach Kubuntu’s command-line terminal, since a pulsating full stop (.) appeared to be an apology for a missing cursor. So, just to see what would happen, I ran the command as suggested by yourself, only to be greeted with yet more totally indecipherable hieroglyphics, which were to change later to 10 double vertical black lines evenly spaced across the screen!

At this point, I realised I was getting absolutely nowhere with Kubuntu, so I swapped hard discs and decided to run your suggested top command on my usual openSüSE 11.4 OS. Here then are some key figures I noted from the constantly changing output:─

CPU: 1·0%us, 0·0%sy, 0·0%ni, 99·0%id, 0·0%wa, 0·0%hi, 0·0%si, 0·0%st. (These figures are
      from an openSüSE screenshot).
      CPU: 13·3%us, 19·1%sy, 0·0%ni, 99·5%id, 1·5%wa, 0·0%hi, 0·2%si, 0·0%st. (These are
      MAXIMUM percentages I noted).
      Mem: 2054640k total, 1996152k used, 58488k free, 50140k buffers.
      Swap: 2104476k total, 2708k used, 2101768k free, 715600k cached.
      Xorg: 2·0% CPU, 21·0% Memory (max.)
      Firefox: 1·0% CPU, 11·5% Memory (max.)
      Plasma-desktop: 1·0% CPU, 10·2% Memory (max.)
      Dolphin: 0·0% CPU, 2·4% Memory (max.)
      KMail: 0·0% CPU, 2·2% Memory (max.)

oshunluvr, I am puzzled greatly why my Siemens PC can run without difficulty my regular openSüSE 11.4 distro, but (so far) not Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Any ideas?

MagnifiKat

Comment

Working...
      X