This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After installing kernel 3.2.0-58-generic-pae, onboard video card not found

Ran the Muon Update Manager on 2/3/2014. After shutting down the system for the night and restarting the system on 2/4/2014, my two monitors began showing the main screen only. Prior to this, my monitors (one VGA and one DVI-D) were set to show the main screen on the right (DVI-D) and the additional space to the left on the VGA screen. The onboard video is ADM/ATI similar to the ATI Radeon HD 4250 card. I have the Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 motherboard containing the onboard card.

I tried using the AMD Catylist Control Center, but it indicated:
    There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

The fglrx package is installed.

aticonfig indicates no supported adapters detected.

I have an old nVidia Geforce 5200 card in a PCI slot but do not use it (had no place to put it outside the box). This is the only video device detected on SysInfo.

The onboard card was working jjust fine prior to installing the updates on 2/3/2014 and was detected on SysInfo and was setup using the ADM Catylist Control Center. Everything worked up through installation of 3.2.0-57-generic-pae.

Verify you have the kernel headers installed that match your kernel.

Please Read Me

Comment

Did that first. I have headers from 58 down to about 36. BTW, I booted to the original live disk for 12.04 that I used to do a clean install over a year ago, The live disk boot found the video card as usual so there is no hardware problem. To be sure, I reloaded the fglrx module, but that did not fix anything. I am wondering if one of the modules from the 2/3/2014 update is the culprit. Perhaps Jockey modules? Maybe the Python-apt modules?

It is curious that the Display dialog from the System Settings states:
      "Your X server does not support resizing and rotating the display. Please update to version 4.3 or greater. You need the X Resize, Rotate, and Reflect extension (RANDR) version 1.1 or greater to use this feature."
      Last edited by dwr777; Feb 08, 2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Okay, I have solved this myself. Problem is, my onboard card is no longer supported by fglrx (2.13.101). My trial and error, I found that I could load the fglrx version from my live disk (2.8.960). Upon loading from the disk, my system works again! Two monitors and everything. I then altered my Software Sources by unmarking the "Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) and my updates now don't include the update of fglrx.

I bought my Gigabyte motherboard in 2011 and only three years later, the graphic device is no longer supported? Scary. I guess I will need to prepare to upgrade my system to a newer motherboard and graphic video card.

Comment

Not necessarily. Likely the kernel itself no longer supports the newer driver. You 'might' want to think about upgrading to Kubuntu 13.10. Yes, it isn't a LTS release, but it is very stable.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X