This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Hard Drive Won't Automount, Desktop Launchers Quit Launching

Apologies if this isn't the right sub-forum for my problem.

Everything was working until I installed Krita. Now I have to login to my 2nd hard drive in order to use it after boot, and my desktop launchers won't start their associated programs any more.

I've went into Sytem Settings>Removeable Devices and checked "Automount on Login" and "Automount on Attach" for my 2nd hard drive, in both the Attached Devices and Disconnected Devices sections. That didn't help.

Here's my fstab -

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=26c5bfb5-79d7-4f2c-af59-5a0bcdf79436 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /boot was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=13490989-1e98-4f08-8b37-b0c3a82ac0fd /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
    # /home was on /dev/sda8 during installation
    UUID=dc6678f0-788c-4499-926b-ac70c10bcc1e /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    # /tmp was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=fa4485be-4ccb-4ae4-83c3-76bda969be89 /tmp            ext4    defaults        0       2
    # /usr was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=b8695f81-a4a6-4f5d-8354-c5c641de9962 /usr            ext4    defaults        0       2
    Appears to be partitions on the primary hard drive (ssd used for boot only).

I haven't looked into the Launcher problem yet, other than to delete the old ones and recreate new ones (didn't work). Putting the application launchers on the toolbar works though.

I've never seen an installation where the system was spread over so many partitions. That's asking for trouble in my opinion.

In Linux, we do not mount a hard drive, we mount a partition or partitions on the hard drive. You can do this by adding the appropriate entry in the fstab file after creating a mount point for each partition you want to mount. for example this is how the partition that contains my backups and data on my second hard drive is mounted.
    UUID=39979d56-7441-45f7-b565-2c4ea96307dd /mnt/DataFiles ext4 users,rw 0 0

First make a directory for it.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/DataFiles
    Then find out the UUID for the partition you wish to mount.
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Then create the entry in fstab to mount the partition by opening the /etc/fstab file file with
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
    Save the file.
    Then you can run
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    in a terminal to see if you have any errors.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 14, 2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I've got an entry under mnt now that automounts. I've still got the old entry under media, but I guess that doesn't make any difference.

Any idea what's wrong with the desktop launchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy_Ray View Post
        Any idea what's wrong with the desktop launchers?
        No, but I suspect it's a path issue having to do with having your system spread over so many different partitions. Open the properties of a Launcher and copy and paste the command that is supposed to launch it and try running it in a terminal to see if you get any errors that might shed some light on the problem.

Comment

The desktop launchers worked fine before I installed Krita. It's been over a year since I built this system, and this problem didn't show up until right after the Krita install.

I copied the command out of the launcher (firefox %u) and ran it from a terminal. Firefox launched o.k. There were a few audio messages -

Code:
          [MuterPulseAudio] AudioMixerControl::PaContextStateCallback
          [MuterPulseAudio] Initialized!

Comment

I can't see how installing Krita could be the cause of the problem. Modify the command line in the firefox launcher to /usr/bin/firefox %u and see if that will work. You could also try just deleting the launcher and make a new one, that might fix it.

Comment

Also run:
              Code:
              echo $PATH
              and post the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                I've never seen an installation where the system was spread over so many partitions. That's asking for trouble in my opinion.
                Not a solution, but a comment on the above: This was a very common way to install Linux a decade or so ago when hard drives were slow and small, with the exception that usually multiple hard drives were used. The intention being to use multiple IDE channels to increase access times. Obviously, these limitations no longer apply so there's no reason at all to do this now - but the salient point is - this sort of install is exactly what Linux was designed to be able to do. I've done it many times, including the use of network attached drives. IMO, the use of this many or even many more partitions/drives is of no concern to Linux at all. However, this is needless complication. I wouldn't ever suggest this much partitioning. At the most /, /home, /tmp for a normal workstation, possibly adding /var for a web server.

I also can't imagine what installing Krita would have done to change to mounting of any partitions. That's is well beyond the scope of Krita to do.

Jeremy, a second hard drive is not a "Removable Device" to the udev system so those changes you made would have no effect on an installed hard drive. The menu launchers issue sounds more like a problem with your user settings. Try creating a new user and see if the launchers work for that user.
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 15, 2013, 06:17 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                  Also run:
                  Code:
                  echo $PATH
                  and post the results.
                  Code:
                  /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
                  The Firefox desktop launcher still doesn't work, no change.

oshunluvr - I pulled the partition stuff off a Linux website. I'm not a programmer. For once I figured I'd not be lazy and use more than one partition. It's ironic to find out I used too many.

I forgot another problem that showed up after installing Krita. On every boot I'm getting a crash notification thingie that pops up on the desktop and has to be closed. It doesn't totally close though, I've got the words "no notifications and no jobs" stuck in the top left corner of my Cintiq. It's not a problem, just a thing that shouldn't be there.

I agree that Krita shouldn't be the cause of these problems, but to go from no problems over an extended period of time, to three problems immediately after installing a new program, is suspicious.

Comment

I pulled the partition stuff off a Linux website.
                    The problem likely was the website was more than a year or two old. Linux is a very fast moving target and changes occur almost daily. Add to that people blogging their opinions as though they are facts and there you have it.

There's nothing wrong per se with your setup, t's just unnecessarily complex and is likely wasting space. At this point - I wouldn't worry about it much, lets focus on the issue at hand.

Back to the issue: Purge Krita, delete all the configs under your user, try adding and testing a second user as I suggested, and post exact error messages in detail. Then we can begin to solve your problems.

Just so we're on the same page: describe in specific detail what you mean by "Desktop Launcher." Which desktop Layout are you using? Default Desktop, Folder View, etc.?

With KDE we have Icons, Widgets, Links and more and they all behave differently.

Please Read Me

Comment

I created the new user, shut down, logged in as the new user, created a desktop launcher for Firefox, no dice.

I'm creating these launchers by going through start menu>applications, right clicking on the program name and selecting "Add to Desktop."

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Back to the issue: Purge Krita, delete all the configs under your user,
                      I will have to look into that. I haven't had to uninstall a Linux program in forever.

Incidentally I just discovered that Krita (2.7) can't save or open files without crashing (doesn't matter if the file is on the ssd or 2nd hard drive). I followed these instructions to install it -

Code:
                      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
                      sudo apt-get update
                      sudo apt-get install krita

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy_Ray View Post
                        The Firefox desktop launcher still doesn't work, no change.
                        Please open a console window and run:
                        Code:
                        firefox
                        What appears in the window after that?
                        Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 17, 2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Krita has been removed.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Please open a console window and run:
                          Code:
                          firefox
                          What appears in the window after that?
                          Nothing, but Firefox starts.
                          Last edited by Jeremy_Ray; Sep 17, 2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I just created a launcher on my desktop for Firefox. Below are the contents of the launcher file:
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]cat ~/Desktop/Firefox.desktop[/B] 
                            [Desktop Entry]
                            Comment[en_US]=
                            Comment=
                            Exec=firefox %u
                            GenericName[en_US]=
                            GenericName=
                            Icon=exec
                            MimeType=
                            Name[en_US]=Firefox
                            Name=Firefox
                            Path=
                            StartupNotify=true
                            Terminal=false
                            TerminalOptions=
                            Type=Application
                            X-DBUS-ServiceName=
                            X-DBUS-StartupType=
                            X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
                            X-KDE-Username=
                            If you create a new one, does your .desktop file look the same?

Comment

I found another new problem which "might" shed a little light on the launcher problem. I've got a program for configuring a keychain camera. To run it I have to find the file, right click and select "Open with>OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime." Now I'm getting the error -

blocked: /ur/bin/java -jar

The file '/mnt/manon2/Documents/rc/video/808_16_v2/Nr16ConfAssist.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.
                              Looking at the properties dialogue for the camera program, "is executable" is checked. I've tried unchecking and rechecking it, to no avail.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

If you create a new one, does your .desktop file look the same?
                              There are no .desktop files for any of the launchers on my desktop. I tried creating a new Firefox, but nothing was added to /desktop.

I'm creating these things by going through the start menu, right clicking on the program name, and selecting "Add to Desktop."

Comment

Working...
                              X