This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two occasional issues, both requiring hard reboots

After stepping through the distribution upgrade process, going from 11.04 to 12.04, my laptop now occasionally does two things that cannot be resolved without a hard reboot:

1) The system freezes. Sort of. Everything stops working, including the clock, but NOT my trackball's pointer. In other words, I can move the pointer around like crazy...I just can't actually DO anything.

2) When lifting the laptop's lid in the morning, there's a blank dark screen. That doesn't respond to anything. So it looks just like any other morning, but when I press a key or move the pointer, nothing happens. Note that I have 'turn off screen' as my choice for 'when laptop lid closed' (under 'Energy Saving') and I do NOT use a screensaver.

There's another issue that started after upgrading--my volume is now much lower than it used to be. 50% now sounds like 30% before; 80% now is like 50% before. Also, my volume setting doesn't stick after shutting down and restarting. So if I left it at 85%, when I restart it's back at 50%.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Sounds like video or ACPI issues. Hardware specs?

Anything begin logged?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Sounds like video or ACPI issues. Hardware specs?

Anything begin logged?
      Oh you WOULD ask questions like that, wouldn't you?!

Hardware? Beats me. Anything specific you want info on?

Logging? Just normal, routine logging; not seeing anything related to these issues.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Start with laptop brand/model and any installed options.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Start with laptop brand/model and any installed options.
          It's the HP dv7t I bought late in 2011. I don't recall adding any hardware, unless you count the Logitech Trackman which is wireless and connects via a little piece that plugs into a USB port. (I've tried removing it, but that had no effect.) So everything is stock--and worked without issue until upgrading to 12.04.

Comment

Try adding these options to /etc/default/grub to the same line that says "quiet splash"

nomodeset
            noapic
            xforcevesa
            acpi=off

Add one option, then run update-grub and reboot. See if the behavior changes. If no improvement, try another and so on...

BTW: you should start a separate thread on the sound issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay, I have no idea why, but after running a couple of recent updates, not only is the volume back to normal but the laptop hasn't frozen...yet. So I'm crossing my fingers that these problems are no longer problems.

Comment

Likely a kernel update fixed it.

Better to be lucky than good!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X