This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04.1 slow boot

Looking for some help. I've just done a new installation of Kubuntu 12.04.1 and have been getting horrifically long boot times (~3 mins on an i5 with 4GB RAM). I installed bootchart and found the kernel is forcing a full fsck on every boot. Anyone have any ideas as to how to stop it or fix it? The disk is brand new.
    Last edited by BigAl-sa; Feb 13, 2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: GB RAM, not MB

The age of the disk isn't relevant. fsck checks the file system, not the hardware.

Search to see if you have a file forcefsck in your root directory. You can also boot to a live USB or CD and run dumpe2fs on the unmounted file system in question. Look at the line in the output which says "Filesystem state" and verify it says "clean."

One immediate workaround is to edit the /etc/fstab file and change the "0 1" at the end of the mount line to "0 0". However in this configuration no automatic file system checks will be done. This shouldn't concern you too much because for example, my server hasn't had 30 reboots in years. 30 is the default number of boots before a file system check is normally forced.

You can change the default using tune2fs:

Code:
    sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
    where 50 = the number of reboots until a fsck is done and /dev/sda1 = the location of file system in question.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      The age of the disk isn't relevant. fsck checks the file system, not the hardware.

Search to see if you have a file forcefsck in your root directory. You can also boot to a live USB or CD and run dumpe2fs on the unmounted file system in question. Look at the line in the output which says "Filesystem state" and verify it says "clean."

One immediate workaround is to edit the /etc/fstab file and change the "0 1" at the end of the mount line to "0 0". However in this configuration no automatic file system checks will be done. This shouldn't concern you too much because for example, my server hasn't had 30 reboots in years. 30 is the default number of boots before a file system check is normally forced.

You can change the default using tune2fs:

Code:
      sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sda1
      where 50 = the number of reboots until a fsck is done and /dev/sda1 = the location of file system in question.
      Thanks vary much for your input. I will check when I get to that machine again. I have gotten around the problem by pressing ESC early in the boot process, which also seems to stop the fsck - the boot time is now around 5s, which I'm more than happy with for a new installation!

Comment

Working...
      X