This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does not appear to install GRUB after Installation

Hello, recently i tried to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my computer, and after installing, It did not appear to install the bootloader at all.

I followed the instructions in this thread, but upon trying the first command, The terminal returned that mount point /mnt/kubuntu does not exist, and it seems that i need that in order to get anything else done, so i'm at a bit of a standstill. After running fdisk, the boot paritition, and the one labled linux is /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 says extended, and /dev/sda5 for some reason says linux swap/solaris. These results are acheived after selecting the guided option to use the entire disk. I looked in the filesystem, and indeed, /mnt/kubuntu does not exist, and nothing works afterwards if i try with /mnt, so i'm not really sure what's going on. Any help would be great, because right now i've got a pretty useless computer with no bootloader.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/kubuntu
    Or replace all instances of /mnt/kubuntu with /mnt

Comment

Now, even with just making that folder, isint there supposed to be some stuff inside there? Either way, I can't find out now because i realized there was an option to select where the bootloader is installed, i changed that to /dev/sda1 on a whim, weather or not it's right, i'm just playing around with it right now. The advantage of linux is that if you mess it up, you can just reinstall it!

Comment

UPDATE

Installed, rebooted, computer isin't even booting, it was kind of a gamble to begin with, so i'm doubting this is due to me installing linux because i just unplugged the hard drive and nothing has changed, i'll come back if i get this thing to work, oh and sorry for the double post.

ANOTHER UPDATE

I reseated everything, it starts up, isint saying boot error like before,it just says nothing, i'll boot the live disk again and do what you said
        Last edited by zwater; Dec 02, 2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

you will want to install grub (the boot loader) to sda ,,,,,not sda1 or2 or3

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X