This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Grub After Install

Did a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04. Upon reboot grub does not appear. The install was using sda. Running 11.10 on sdb. No Windows on this system.

Coming to you now from live CD.

Blank screen or do you get an error when you boot? You might be tring to boot the wrong disk, try chaning the boot order for your hdd and see if you can boot off any of them.

Comment

boot to live CD, open a terminal;
      Code:
      sudo grub-install /dev/sda
      sudo update-grub
      sudo reboot

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe grub is there, but is using an invalid "mode", so giving a black screen; that's what I got on a fresh install, though my monitor complained. If that's so, pressing enter will run run kubuntu.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

That's a lot different from grub not "being there."

Try this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842

Please Read Me

Comment

Have the same black screen issue with an intel hd3000. Also had no grub.
            Grub solved by installing "Grub2 Bootloader" app. (it goes in the System Settings under the Startup and Shutdown icon).
            Will try to solve the black screen issue too with this app., the way it is described in the link in the post above, but permanently (as Grub2 Bootloader should allow to edit grub's lines).

PS:
            Grub2 Bootloader doesn't allow editing grub lines. Tried to use Kate to add "i915.modeset=0" to /etc/default/grub, but couldn't save the changes. Tried to open kate with root privileges
            kdesudo kate
            and could save the changes. Also did
            sudo update-grub
            before exiting the terminal. But when rebooting nothing had changed: same black screen at the first login (I use "blind" login). Checked again the /etc/default/grub file and at my surprise the previous made changes disappeared.
            What did I do wrong?

Thanks for the link above,
            Last edited by aria; Oct 24, 2012, 11:17 AM.
            aria

Comment

Working...
            X