Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error at bootup after new install (complex situation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error at bootup after new install (complex situation)

(I've posted on the software forum about a problem creating an ISO boot disk with K3b. I still have that problem, but have meanwhile found and installed Kubuntu from an older ISO disk, and now have a very different problem.)

Background: Trying to enlarge my /home partition with gparted, I accidently wiped out my root partition, and so needed to re-establish that and reload Kubuntu. Mine is a dual boot machine, with Win/Vista being the other OS.

Here is my partition structure as I set it up earlier tonight (and as gparted shows it to me):

sda1 - fat 16 - Dell Utility - 47 GB
    sda2 - ntfs - Vista - 78 GB
    sda4 - linux-swap - 6 GB
    sda3 - extended - 214 GB
    sda5 - ext4 - /home - 199 GB
    sda6 - ext4 - / (boot) - 16 GB

Before working on it earlier tonight, root was right after swap, which was still in extended (I think). I made these other changes too: removed about 30 unused GB from Vista, moved swap next to vista, then added the new free space to /home (which is where I stupidly wiped my OS, which had been right after swap). To make space for the new root, I removed 16 GB from the end of /home, leaving things as they are now.

The Kubuntu install from CD (it was ver. 11.04) went fine. Except...and this may be the problem...I was never asked if I wanted to dual boot. I thought that odd, but I couldn't recall the exact sequence I'd encountered when originally setting up the dual boot some time ago, so I just let it pass. I didn't seem to have any other option.

But now when I attempt to boot, and am expecting to see grup and go from there, I get this:

error: incompatible license
    grup rescue>
    Needless to say, I'm in just enough over my head that I don't know what to do. I hope I don't have to reload Vista, and I certainly don't want to lose /home (which is all backed up, except for recent email, and programs installed in my user account).

Any ideas what I should do to get this fixed?
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Sep 14, 2012, 04:04 PM.

That error comes from grub modules not matching what's in the MBR I think.

Try re-installing grub from the same installer you have installed from or try "grub-install --recheck"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      That error comes from grub modules not matching what's in the MBR I think.

Try re-installing grub from the same installer you have installed from or try "grub-install --recheck"
      Re-installing - how? I just installed KB 11.04 from an old ISO CD. Normally, grub just magically get installed. I'll research this question, but right now I have no idea how to "re-install grup".

The "grus-rescue>" prompt looks promising, but it doesn't recognize the "grub-install --recheck" command you suggest. I need to research this prompt as well. Have no idea what I can do with it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Re-install grub:

Reboot to the LiveCD.
        Open a terminal.
        Type: sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
        Type: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
        Type: sudo reboot

This should re-install grub to /dev/sda from /dev/sda5/boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm confused. Why the focus on sda5? that's \home. sda6 is \boot - shouldn't that be the focus? (I'm really not grasping a few things here, I know... just don't want to make the problem worse), Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
            I'm confused. Why the focus on sda5? that's \home. sda6 is \boot - shouldn't that be the focus? (I'm really not grasping a few things here, I know... just don't want to make the problem worse), Thanks for your help.
            Yes, you should mount /dev/sda6 instead of 5 if that's the one with /boot in it.

Comment

Oh geez - I should proof-read better!

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, THAT sure worked. I've just booted into my 11.04 installation. Preparing to do the upgrade to precise.

Very simple fix - but I sure couldn't have done it so quickly - if at all - alone. Thanks to you both - very much!!!

FWIT: While waiting for responses to this thread, I learned about, then tried, the boot-repair utility. Useless. I ran it twice, and it just ran without going anywhere that I could detect - the first time for some 15 minutes. Don't know what the issue is there, but while it looked good it sure wasn't.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X