This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing DPI?

Just installed kubuntu on a laptop. The screen resolution is 1920x1080. As a result everything is ridiculously tiny. I would like to make it all bigger, and from what I can tell the way to do this would be to increase the DPI. Anyone know how to do this?

(I found some threads recommending changing t he DPI for fonts in System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts, but this just changes the font in apps (duh!) which is a rather unsatisfactory fix)

That location is correct and should change the fonts for everything after you log in... the one thing to note is that it only affects newly started applications.

What else would you like to change?

Comment

In answer the DPI question: Yes you can change it, but that doesn't necessarily increase the size of a font. Changing font sizes in the System settings effects my desktop.

Your LCD panel will only display clearly at it's native resolution so you should stay at 1920x1080.

To check you current DPI, in a terminal type xdpyinfo |grep reso

You can change it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have one or using xrandr if you don't. I use 100x100 DPI and 100 DPI fonts.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi there,

I have been struggling now for a day with this problem of ridiculously tiny fonts and icons. After a fresh installation of Kubuntu 12.04 precise in a laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080, it seems I can't find the right configuration to get a sharp and reasonable sized font (and icon) settings. The problem gets even more fun when I connect my external monitor 1680x1050, because the fonts I use Ubuntu 9 look small in the laptop but giant in the monitor.

I have read that configuring anti-aliasing in System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts to use sub-pixel rendering RGB should fix the problem, but is still there. I have also played around different DPI values (96, 120, 144) without success.

I'm wondering if there is someone out there familiar with this problem and luckily with a solution
        Thanks!

Comment

I'm curious as to what you consider "ridiculously tiny fonts and icons". Any chance of a screenshot?

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks John,

Let's say the font size is small, I didn't mean to offend anybody. Here is a screenshot, although I'm afraid is hard to appreciate the font size https://www.dropbox.com/s/si6el5opdt...creenshot1.png Still, the question for me is what is the optimal fonts and icons configuration in kubuntu 12.04 in a laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080. Changing DPI doesn't seem to be the solution in my case.
            Thanks

Comment

(Sorry to give the wrong impression, I meant the phrase "I'm curious" literally! I suppose sometimes it's used as a euphemism for disapproval, but not by me, curiosity being a virtue in my view.)
              I wonder if control-minus has reduced the font in your app, and if control-plus or control-0 helps.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

(Let's be curious! sorry for the misunderstood)
                Thanks for your suggestion. In chrome ctr+ temporary fix it. However, I found this link https://community.kde.org/KDE/High-dpi_issues where they explicitly address this issue:

Increase font dpi (System Settings → Application Appearance → Fonts → Force font dpi, enter a number such as 125 or 150)
                Increase icon sizes (System Settings → Application Appearance → Icons → Advanced, here choose a higher icon size for all icons, eg. just increase each icon type by one step)
                After change the fonts to 150 DPI and make the icons bigger, now kubuntu looks quite nice!
                I hope it helps.
                Regards

Comment

Working...
                X