This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to my new router

I have a Win XP / 12.04 LTS double install. My internet connection worked perfectly until some days ago when I bought and connected a new wifi router. At first I set up the router in Win XP and the connection works correctly. Then I switched to Kubuntu and tried to set up the network according to the router's manual. I set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 as specified in the manual. The problem is: my network doesn't work and I can't even connect to my router settings using the browser (when typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser I get a blank screen constantly). Any help would be appreciated.

is the router's IP 192.168.1.1? (this is a common setting)

Are you setting your computer's newtork card to be 192.168.1.1 also? This would cause a conflict if both the router and computer had the same address. Usually it is easiest to let the router automatically assign IP adresses (dhcp) to the computers attached, but you can also try setting your Kubuntu's settings to be a different IP address, say 192.168.1.2 if you don't want to use automatic, dynamic addressing.

Comment

The problem is, in the router's manual there's the description of the setup process only for Win XP. It says that:

1. The installation of the TCP/IP protocol must be verified.
      2. In the TCP/IP settings the IP address has to be set to 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask has to be set to 255.255.255.0.
      3. Then the router can be accessed at 192.168.1.1 from the browser.
      4. Then at the router's settings (from the browser) we have to automatically assign IP addresses (dhcp).

This worked perfectly for Win XP. Somehow I need to "translate" this process to Kubuntu.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Usually it is easiest to let the router automatically assign IP adresses (dhcp) to the computers attached, but you can also try setting your Kubuntu's settings to be a different IP address, say 192.168.1.2 if you don't want to use automatic, dynamic addressing.
      I tried both dhcp and a different IP address too but I'm getting no results (blank screen in the browser every time). In my point of view I can't get my network card to communicate with my router.

Comment

Originally posted by AirRick View Post
        The problem is, in the router's manual there's the description of the setup process only for Win XP. It says that:

1. The installation of the TCP/IP protocol must be verified.
        2. In the TCP/IP settings the IP address has to be set to 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask has to be set to 255.255.255.0.
        3. Then the router can be accessed at 192.168.1.1 from the browser.
        4. Then at the router's settings (from the browser) we have to automatically assign IP addresses (dhcp).

This worked perfectly for Win XP. Somehow I need to "translate" this process to Kubuntu.
        It is a generic procedure, and works the same for Linux and Kubuntu. When setting your network from network manager dhcp should be specified, the security protocol, wpa preferred, and the password. No other IP designation needs to be done. Just ensure the same security protocol is specified in the router.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

I have tried dhcp already numerous times (with no security) but I got no results. I'm thinking of something like a conflict between my old and new settings. Is this possible?

Comment

As richb stated, it's a very basic procedure for all of us in Linux - except really specific conditions.

Here are two snapshots of my how my network is setup. It's almost a waste of pixels! The first is a picture of the wireless tab, where I identify my SSID and gave the connection a name - rest is just defaults. As you can see, there is a Scan button that will show any broadcast SSIDs in your area, including your own if your router broadcasts its SSID (which you can do temporarily, if doing so bothers you). The second is the IPV4 tab with Basic Settings shown of Automatic (DHCP). The last step is go to the Wireless Security tab and select the mode (i.e., WPA2, in my case), along with the password to access your router. And that's pretty much it, as long as you spell everything correctly.
            Attached Files
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

It wasn't a waste of pixels because it made me realize where I made a mistake. I didn't tell you that I'm connecting to my router using a cable (sorry ). I use the wireless network to connect with my other devices. The cable connection between my PC and my router is what's not working (neither manual or automatic).

Comment

In that case there are two steps you can take. the first is to reboot both your cable box and router. Disconnect power from the router and then the cable box. Wait 30 seconds and reconnect the cable box and the router in that order. If that is not successful call your ISP.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Always consider Occam's Razor
                Rich

Comment

I did that numerous times but no success. I don't think it's an ISP problem because in my Win XP all works correctly. I tried writing "ifconfig" and "route" in the terminal. I got the following response (I hope it helps a bit):

Code:
                  erik@badela:~$ ifconfig
                  eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:31:45:89:25  
                            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                            TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
                            RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
                            Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:95:34:2b:1d  
                            inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
                            inet6 addr: fe80::240:95ff:fe34:2b1d/64 Scope:Link
                            UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                            TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
                            RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:9359 (9.3 KB)
                            Interrupt:18 Base address:0xe800 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
                            inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
                            inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                            UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
                            RX packets:676 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                            TX packets:676 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
                            RX bytes:43308 (43.3 KB)  TX bytes:43308 (43.3 KB)
                  Code:
                  erik@badela:~$ route
                  Kernel IP routing table
                  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
                  link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth1
                  192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth1
                  Both responses were the same with automatic or manual network settings.

Comment

I found help on the hungarian Ubuntu forum. Finally! Here it is:

Code:
                    sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
                              auto lo
                              iface lo inet loopback
                              auto eth1
                              iface eth1 inet static
                              address 192.168.1.3
                              netmask 255.255.255.0
                              gateway 192.168.1.1
                    Originally there were only the first 2 lines of this file.

Code:
                    sudo kate /etc/resolv.conf
                              nameserver 192.168.1.1
                    Originally there was 127.0.0.1.

Code:
                    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
                    At the network settings the IP address is manually set to 192.168.1.1.

That's it! Thank you guys for trying to help me! SOLVED!
                    Last edited by AirRick; Dec 04, 2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

The system kept overwriting the file /etc/resolv.conf and deleting the line with the nameserver info. I had to put it back manually every time I restarted Kubuntu.

But now I figured out how to stop that from happening. I had to add a line to the /etc/network/interfaces file. Now it looks like this:

Code:
                      sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
                                auto lo
                                iface lo inet loopback
                                auto eth1
                                iface eth1 inet static
                                address 192.168.1.3
                                netmask 255.255.255.0
                                gateway 192.168.1.1
                                dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

Comment

Working...