Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I mean, maybe it can boot past the issues your Live CD is having. I haven't studied it lately, but the other day I burned a Live SGD CD, ran it, chose some selection on some menu, and it booted me asap right into my 12.04.

If you have a choice (which I think you might), rather than choosing to "fix GRUB2," maybe first just select an option to "boot an [your] OS" to see if SGD can get you into your OS. Otherwise, you might choose an option to "fix the boot [or whatever]." I know adrian15 has done a lot of work on the SGD project. Now I can't guarantee anything, but if you were to try to fix the GRUB2 bootloader, not in my wildest dreams can I imagine how that would damage anything else on the disk, unless just spinning the disk could damage a file system. GRUB2 usually is put only in the MBR (or GPT 512 bytes) plus a little beyond it (through sector 62, counting sectors from 0), but stops before the 1st sector of the 1st partition (sometimes that is sector 63). So, in theory ... you should be safe trying to fix the bootloader ONLY.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just ran SGD that I downloaded this month, super-grub-disk-hybrid-1.98s1 (? I can't read the last two characters).iso.
      I selected Detect any OS, up came some kernel choices, I chose the latest, and booted into the OS.
      (I'm sure you got this, but just in case ... reboot the PC, press the key to enter BIOS setup, make sure boot 1st from CD/USB is selected in your boot order, open the CD door, place the CD in and close it, and exit BIOS and continue booting. If that does NOT boot you into SGD, reboot again and it should.)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Are you sure your LiveUSB is good? Have you managed to boot it on any other hardware?
        Have you tried LiveCD insted of LiveUSB?
        It is really strange, that you can't boot LiveUSB, while Windows works. That's why I suppose it is software-related problems of LiveUSB.

Comment

So Finally I fixed it!
          Thanks everybody for the help and advices.
          To Senya: Yes I tried Live USB on the other machines - it actually worked
          To QMike: I read everything about grub2 superdisk, but I tried RIP linux first and it helped:
          You can get the (R)ecovery (I)s (P)ossible Linux rescue system here!
          Code:
          http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
          I just created a USB with it and it allowed me to do everything. And the problem cased it was real "bad sector" on HDD ((.

Comment

Very good, and thanks for the update (I was wondering how you were doing). I found this link to RIP, somewhat more explanatory:
            http://linuxsysconfig.com/2009/02/rip-linux/

So I'm guessing you got booted into the OS to get your data; or that you used RIP as a live CD to copy your data off.

Comment

Yes I did created a Live USB with RIP, and it immediately showed me a menu with a possibility to boot Linux. Then I just mounted all partitions with my data an copied it to the external HDD. Since now I am know for sure that I have bad sectors on internal HDD i will think what to do further. Probably I will just get new HDD and then reinstall system. Thanks to yall again.

Comment

Working...
              X