This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busybox initramfs, KUbuntu 12.04 64bit

Hi. Today I dropped my laptop, and it was working fine for a couple of hours until I performed a forced restart. After that my boot forward me to Busybox. Any ideas of what should I do. And I dont have a LiveCD or USB with me. I Still able to boot my Windows partition.

So now I have a Live USB. Any ideas of how can I fix this problem?

Comment

See How to Repair, Restore, or Reinstall Grub 2 with a Ubuntu Live CD or USB
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So I created a live USB using the 12.04.3 iso I had from "back in a days". After setting in BIOS external device as a primary BOOT I tried to run it but unsuccessfuly: laptop was restarting every second by itself.
        Then I downloaded a "fresh" 12.04.3.iso from kubuntu.org. After an attempt to run this version i can see only black screen with
        SYSLINUX 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright (C) 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al
        and it is not going any further. So I think I need one more hint ((

Comment

After search of similar problems i found that this SYSLINUX... can be due wrong distribution or bad iso.
          I used Universal-USB-installer-1.9.5.2. Im not sure which program is better for this (let say live-usb-install looks too complicated and it do not support 12.04.03)
          Also I am not sure what should I use 12.04 or 12.04.3 (I tried last one since I have the latest kernel)
          Also It will be nice to know is there any difference between CD or DVD iso for the purpose of fixing my problem.

Thanks in

Comment

Try to follow instructions in ubuntu website of making bootable USB stick on windows.

Maybe it is better to tell Universal-USB-installer to download iso image for you, to make it less possibility of corruption. However, I am not sure it is checking checksum.
            To make sure your iso file is not broken the following method is usually used. There is hash available for iso files. Try search "ubuntu md5" in search engine and you will instantly find it
            You have to compute hash for your downloaded file and compare. If it is differs, so your file is broken.
            There is also an explanation of how to do that on windows in ubuntu wiki.

Comment

Try to follow instructions in ubuntu website of making bootable USB stick on windows.
              - this is exactly what I did ((
              Also the newest version of installer do not give you a choice of Kubuntu distribution - it is automatically download 13.10 version. I tried to download 12.04 version using torrent and direct download from Kubuntu website - none of them work. So it seems like its not about check sum. Also it still unclear what should I use: 12.04 or 12.04.3

Comment

Or, just try Super Grub2 Disk

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Run it, see if it will repair GRUB2; if not, use it to boot into the OS and repair GRUB 2 from there.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So finally I found proper 12.04.3 .iso (I still not sure that i should use it instead of 12.04) with correct check sum (verified by md5sum). After attempt to run it, i still have this message
                  SYSLINUX 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright (C) 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al
                  and then laptop restart immediately, and it keeps rebooting.
                  So I guess i should try something else instead of Live USB (unless somebody have an extra suggestion).
                  Can somebody give me more info of how to use GRUB2, since Im kinda afraid of loosing my data on laptop by doing something wrong.
                  After reading info about GRUB2 I am still not sure which steps I should perform in order to fix it.
                  Thanks in advance again.

Comment

How did you create the LiveUSB? What program did you use to burn the .iso to the USB?

Comment

I used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2
                      On Step 1 I choose Kubuntu (since this version do not allow you to choose particular distribution)
                      On Step 2 I browse the [B]kubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso[\B] file I downloaded and verified by md5sum
                      On Step 3 specified my USB

Comment

Hmm. Does your PC have a 64-bit CPU?

Comment

Yes It does.
                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.8GHz with 64-bit operating system

Comment

Okay. The only thing I can guess at here, is that the burn to the USB is 'flawed'. That could be confirmed by trying it on another PC. If it also won't boot and experiences what you are seeing, then the burn is flawed.

Try using UNetbootin instead. It can be installed in Windows.

Comment

I tried to use UNetbootin with the iso file I downloaded. After run of the USB It shows the same message, while not rebooting by itself anymore. Do you think I should try to let UNetbootin to download distribution byitself and try again?

Comment

Working...
                              X