This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 12.04 install here?

Do you see any reason Kubuntu 12.04 would not install and work OK on this system (these specs date back approx. to 2005):

Motherboard:
    Intel 915GAVL 915G LGA775

Processor:
    CPU Intel P4 530J 3 GHz 800 MHz FSB 1 MB L2 Cache

Memory:
    Crucial 1 GB kit: Unbuffered, Non-ECC 2-512MB 184-pin 64Mx64 DDR SDRAM PC3200

Hard drive:
    Seagate 160 GB S-ATA NCQ 7200 8MB Cache

Display:
    NEC CRT AS750F-BK

Power supply:
    Antec 430W True Power 2.0 TPII
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Looks fine to me.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll give it a go soon as I get a window of time. That system has 2 HDDs. It boots from HDD #1 (which is listed in the specs above and which is hardly ever used) and it has Windows XP on it. HDD #2 has Kubuntu 8.04 and my home data (which has been copied off) and is used daily. Disk #2 is failing (or, it appears that the disk controller and my OS are having difficulty communicating on "ATA4" whatever--system freezes and must be rebooted every time I turn around). So I'll kill #2 (with dd and then with tin snips and a hammer and then a little dip in the HCl pool ...), repartition #1 with gparted, and install 12.04 (XP dies as collateral damage).

Thanks for your input oshun.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        I'll kill #2 (with dd and then with tin snips and a hammer and then a little dip in the HCl pool ...)
        Daymn. Aggression, much?

Comment

I'm just a wild-and-crazy Zero Probability guy ... Takes seconds. Hard part--if there is a hard part--is breaking into the case to extract the platters. The rest just flows from loving what you do.

Comment

Nothing like a 3 lb. hammer and an air driven grinder to satisfy some real aggression!

Please Read Me

Comment

Especially when you can convert the drive itself into a grinder...electric-powered, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Especially when you can convert the drive itself into a grinder...electric-powered, though.

LOL.

Some people have too much time
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

re Post #1 12.04 did indeed install nicely on this old machine, things seem to work thus far. Working better than does 8.04. GRUB 2 picked up everything, installed to the boot drive, it picked up the GRUB legacy in the 2nd drive, boots to that OK. Gparted checked that 2nd HDD I think might be screwy but found nothing. Then there is, what? SMART Tools to run on the 'bad' drive? XP is gone now, as I used its HDD to install 12.04 into (after repartition). I have a legal OEM install disk from NewEgg, but why bother? I seldom booted into XP, once every 3-4 months, and when I did, boy was that a headache, updating virus checkers, CCleaner, applications, etc.

Comment

Hmmm ... my WYSIWYG/Advanced is not working here for formatting! My profile settings do indicate that I should have full formatting capability. As you can see above, even my paragraphs didn't come through.

Comment

Test

Testing

etc

OK, sorry ... It doesn't like NoScript -- I forgot to allow Kubuntu forums. Everything works OK.
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Jan 22, 2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: testing

Comment

Working...
                      X