This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going into Terminal window when booting, then boots into Kubuntu

This is just a minor irritation I have. Kubuntu works great on my desktop. But after I installed my SSD this started happening. Whenever I boot, I come up to a terminal screen asking for my username. If I leave it alone, after about 2 or 3 minutes it'll then boot into Kubuntu by itself. I can speed up the process by logging in, giving my username, then password, then typing startx.

Anyone know what's going on and if I can fix this?

Mine did that for a couple of boots. I allowed it to do what it was doing, and it eventually stopped. I'm assuming it was setting itself up, precaching, preloading, aligning, ect al...
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
      Mine did that for a couple of boots. I allowed it to do what it was doing, and it eventually stopped. I'm assuming it was setting itself up, precaching, preloading, aligning, ect al...
      Well, this has been going on for a couple months. I'm not sure if it will work itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
        But after I installed my SSD this started happening. Whenever I boot, I come up to a terminal screen asking for my username. If I leave it alone, after about 2 or 3 minutes it'll then boot into Kubuntu by itself. I can speed up the process by logging in, giving my username, then password, then typing startx.
        Something is delaying the start of LightDM, the display manager that controls your X session.

I've seen this happen on rare occasion when the hibernation resume file points to a non-existent partition. What's the output of
        Code:
        cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

ll /dev/disk/by-uuid

ll /dev/disk/by-partuuid
        Also, you could try switching from LightDM to KDM, KDE's default display manager. I prefer it over LightDM, actually. To do this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kdm
        During installation, a menu will appear, asking which display manager you wish to use. Select KDM. Allow the installation to finish, then reboot. Does KDM start more quickly than LightDM now?

Comment

Code:
          home@Home:~$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
          RESUME=UUID=bccfee89-3b67-4d6c-9bd8-26d6f81f68c1
          home@Home:~$ ll /dev/disk/by-uuid
          total 0
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Dec 18 16:30 ./
          drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Dec 18 16:30 ../
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Dec 18 16:30 23cd3bec-b264-4663-9e10-52a11f0ec93a -> ../../sda1
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Dec 18 16:30 28203688-2775-49a2-8d0b-4bc9288fb3a1 -> ../../sdb3
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Dec 18 16:30 bccfee89-3b67-4d6c-9bd8-26d6f81f68c1 -> ../../sda5
          home@Home:~$ 
          home@Home:~$ ll /dev/disk/by-partuuid
          ls: cannot access /dev/disk/by-partuuid: No such file or directory

KDM is already installed. I've tried some settings and compared it to my other computers, but it's a no go. Then I tried to purge kdm and then reinstall it when I booted to the terminal, but that didn't do the trick either.

Comment

The outputs match, so that's good.

Read about and install bootchart -- perhaps this can give some insight into where the delay is.

Comment

Well, I finally got the chance to reboot and here's the results:

I can't quite make heads or tails out of it and the ubuntu page where you're supposed to compare them won't let me upload it for some odd reason.

Anyways, I rebooted again, but this time I logged in and ran startx. I got majorly different results:

Last edited by charles052; Dec 21, 2013, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Well, I think I fixed my issue. I just reinstalled Kubuntu 12.04. I decided to try KWheezy instead, but the liveCD wouldn't load on my computer for some reason. I took it as a bad sign and decided against it.

Hopefully, this install will be as stable as the one before my last.

Comment

I don't think reinstalling kubuntu solves this problem. I'm having the exact same issue. Doing what steveriley suggests gives me this.....

Code:
                  ed@ed-dell:~$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
                  RESUME=UUID=990631a9-ffa3-42f2-8acf-e0fa172e8ab0
                  ed@ed-dell:~$ ll /dev/disk/by-uuid
                  total 0
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Jan 18 18:34 ./
                  drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Jan 18 18:34 ../
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jan 18 18:34 43a999d6-7d03-4761-ac7a-6dafcb428031 -> ../../sda1
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jan 18 18:34 7EABE04647791398 -> ../../sdb1
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jan 18 18:34 990631a9-ffa3-42f2-8acf-e0fa172e8ab0 -> ../../sda5
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jan 18 18:34 B808269308265124 -> ../../sdg1
                  ed@ed-dell:~$ ll /dev/disk/by-partuuid
                  ls: cannot access /dev/disk/by-partuuid: No such file or directory
                  ed@ed-dell:~$

Are mine right? What else could fix this problem?
                  Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 20, 2014, 12:18 AM. Reason: added CODE tags
                  Alienware 17 R2
                  ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
                  ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                  Nvidia Graphics
                  16 Ram
                  Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Is /dev/sda5 your swap partition?

Also, I'm curious about that error message. Although it's unrelated to startup issues, you should have a /dev/disk/by-partuuid subdirectory. What's the output of
                    Code:
                    ll /dev/disk

Comment

ed@ed-dell:~$ ll /dev/disk
                      total 0
                      drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Jan 23 16:15 ./
                      drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4640 Jan 23 16:15 ../
                      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 560 Jan 23 16:15 by-id/
                      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Jan 23 16:15 by-label/
                      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 320 Jan 23 16:15 by-path/
                      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Jan 23 16:15 by-uuid/

yes i think /dev/sda5 is my swap. Thank you.
                      Alienware 17 R2
                      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                      Nvidia Graphics
                      16 Ram

Comment

Now I remember that by-partuuid is present only for GPT disks. You have an MBR disk.

Your resume file is correct.

Without more details, it's very difficult to diagnose a problem like this. Have you installed and examined a boot chart?

Comment

Ok, I installed bootchart and here is the file it generated.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ed-dell-precise-20140124-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	640622
                          Alienware 17 R2
                          ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                          Nvidia Graphics
                          16 Ram

Comment

You're going to have to post higher resolution pic. There's no way to read that. Try uploading to http://www.pictureshack.us/

Comment

Ok. I did the pictureshack and it gave many links. I copied this one....

http://www.pictureshack.us/view_8600...20140124-5.png
                              Alienware 17 R2
                              ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                              Nvidia Graphics
                              16 Ram

Comment

Working...
                              X