Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > click the audio hardware setup tab , in the hardware section under profile what is listed ?,,, can you click the dropdown list and change to analog stereo ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      in System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > click the audio hardware setup tab , in the hardware section under profile what is listed ?,,, can you click the dropdown list and change to analog stereo ?
      under System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon under the Audio Hardware Setup tab, in the Hardware section, under Profile, there are different things listed, depending on what is selected for Sound Card

if "RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]" is selected for sound card, i have "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output" and "Off" under Profile.

if "Built-in Audio" is selected for sound card, i have a whole bunch of options:

Analog Stereo Duplex
      Analog Stereo Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input
      Analog Stereo Output
      Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input
      Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958)
      Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output
      Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
      Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input
      Analog Surround 5.1 Output
      Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input

however, if i select "Built-in Audio" for a sound card, it doesn't "stick"... even when i reboot, if i go directly to System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon and select the Audio Hardware Setup tab, what comes up is "RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]"
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
      http://www.hybridelephant.com/
      ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

do you even have and HDMI out on the box ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

after having looked up HDMI (because i had no clue what it stood for) i can, with some degree of confidence, state that i do NOT have a High-Definition Multimedia Interface output on my box.
          ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

so, umm...

what do i do now?

hello? anyone...?
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

never mind...

after waiting for 3 days for someone to respond to this thread, i got tired of waiting and figured it out on my own.

since nobody responded, i'm not going to tell anyone how i fixed it.
              ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
                never mind...

after waiting for 3 days for someone to respond to this thread, i got tired of waiting and figured it out on my own.

Well, that would be a typical Joe Btfsplk remark.

Really. This is a community. Members help as they can and are able. Just because no one was able to provide a solution doesn't justify you withholding the solution you found (on your own). I do hope your comment is meant to be 'tongue and cheek' and will post what you found and what you did to fix the problem. It will be of benefit to others. That is what KFN is all about.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm with Snowhog, hoping that was a tongue-in-cheek post, because otherwise... well, I'd be pretty shocked and dismayed.

There are basically 2 reasons that someone would post in a thread like this: 1) They think they have a fix for the problem, or 2) They have a trouble-shooting step to try that hasn't already been suggested.

If nobody has posted in 3 days, it's because nobody from category 1) or 2) has read this thread in those 3 days. Nobody in this community is reading this thread and thinking to themselves "well, I do in fact have either a fix or a trouble-shooting idea that hasn't been tried, but I can't be bothered to post it, so I'll just let this guy swing in the wind".

The only people who will suffer from a solution being withheld are people who have the same problem, then come to this thread hoping to find an answer. For those people to discover that a fix does indeed exist but has been deliberately withheld by the person who figured it out... they'd be quite understandably miffed.

I for one would be very reluctant to offer help with any other problems in the future to someone who would choose to withhold a solution out of spite, and I bet I'm not alone in feeling that way...
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

here's a hint...

okay, here's a hint.
                    Attached Files
                    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

So, you just had to un-mute the "Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo" channel in KMix?
                      sigpic
                      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                        So, you just had to un-mute the "Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo" channel in KMix?
                        when i looked at the KMix window, i was under the impression that the buttons that were below the sliders were actually icons - that they did NOT change state unless some other setting, somewhere else, was changed...

the way ICONS like that are, in EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM...

i spent two weeks (the last of which was spent here, moodging around with various different audio settings) having no sound on my box BECAUSE of the fact that the "icons" were "buttons" (i.e. they have two states), and nobody thought to mention that to me.

the fact that the "mute/active" button/icons below each audio device DON'T LOOK LIKE BUTTONS was the main problem. once i worked out the fact that they were actual buttons, and not icons, i no longer had a problem. all they would have had to do was put a rounded-corner border around the icons, so that they LOOKED LIKE BUTTONS, and i wouldn't have had any problems to begin with.
                        ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Agreed, that really doesn't look like a button when your mouse cursor isn't hovering over it... and of course, unless you suspect it might be a button, there's no reason to put your mouse cursor on it. As you say, making it look more button-like would be a definite improvement, or maybe a check box with the word 'Mute' beside it.

KDE definitely has some areas where the discoverability of its features could be improved. For example, I had decided not to use certain plasmoids because they insisted on being square shaped, and I wanted them to be rectangular in order to fit nicely among the other plasmoids on my desktop. Then another member here tipped me off to holding down CTRL while resizing the plasmoid; that particular feature has essentially zero discoverability.
                          sigpic
                          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

when i looked at the KMix window, i was under the impression that the buttons that were below the sliders were actually icons - that they did NOT change state unless some other setting, somewhere else, was changed...

the way ICONS like that are, in EVERY OTHER OPERATING SYSTEM...

i spent two weeks (the last of which was spent here, moodging around with various different audio settings) having no sound on my box BECAUSE of the fact that the "icons" were "buttons" (i.e. they have two states), and nobody thought to mention that to me.

the fact that the "mute/active" button/icons below each audio device DON'T LOOK LIKE BUTTONS was the main problem. once i worked out the fact that they were actual buttons, and not icons, i no longer had a problem. all they would have had to do was put a rounded-corner border around the icons, so that they LOOKED LIKE BUTTONS, and i wouldn't have had any problems to begin with.
                            Thank you very much.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, I see your cheeky raspberry emoticon, so I presume you're just having a bit fun, especially since you ultimately shared your solution. But I remind you that I replied to your PM from two days ago, with some suggestions to begin a troubleshooting exercise. Does that not count as a response?

Comment

I guess I was lucky. One of the buttons was a different color.
                                GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                                X