Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious problems with nVidia proprietary driver installation on 64-bit Kubuntu 12.04

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try loading the nvdia driver again, When you're dumped to the terminal, try:

sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove
    sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
    And then restart kdm -> sudo service kdm restart
    Report back your results. Also, I've read the problem doesn't exist in the 32bit kernel. I know you've already done a bunch of re-installs. Do you have room for another install partition so you can fresh-install there instead of wiping this one every time?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Try loading the nvdia driver again
      Do you mean installing the driver again?

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Do you have room for another install partition so you can fresh-install there instead of wiping this one every time?
      Not really to be honest.

Comment

Not installing, unless you removed it. The only way we can test it is to use it - I know it's a PITA but no other way.

If you use an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file you can usually change drivers without uninstalling each one.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, I have never succeeded booting KDM with nVidia proprietary driver on 12.04, so yes, I did have to remove it every single time.

Comment

O.K., here is what I get on a fresh (!) Kubuntu installation after I download and install the recommended nVidia proprietary driver via Additional Drivers tool.

1) lsmdo | grep nvidia

Code:
            nvidia              12319264  0
            2) lsmod | grep nouveau - no output.

3) dkms status

Code:
            nvidia-current, 295.40, 3.2.0-30-generic, x86_64: installed
            So the driver seems to be properly installed, but still I'm stuck with a console...

4) sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0 /remove

Code:
            sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0 /remove is a folder
            5) sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

Code:
            sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan - access denied
            6) sudo service kdm restart

Code:
            kdm stop/waiting
            kdm start/running, process 2120
            The output seen in points 4) and 5) I had to translate from Polish to English, so I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as in originally English Kubuntu installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar View Post
              sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0 /remove
              Looks like you put a space before /remove

Your polish/english translation looks fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

NOTE: I tried these commands on my system, and I also got "Access Denied"

You have to do it this way:

sudo -i
                echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove
                echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

Please Read Me

Comment

Utilizing command sudo -i I was finally able to execute the other two commands You gave, but after restarting kdm service nothing really happened. It looked exactly the same way as restarting kdm without performing other two commands.

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

Whats the output of:

lspci -nnv |grep VGA

Please Read Me

Comment

At the moment it displays

Code:
                        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT] [10de:0407] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Comment

The topic seems dead... :-(

I installed Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit and it is affected by the same problem. Does that mean there's something wrong with the drivers? Recently I was re-installing my Windows Vista 32-bit on the same laptop (dual-boot), and newest drivers don't seem to work either. Maybe it is a problem with the drivers indeed. Regardless of the architecture...

Comment

I found it pretty rare that the driver itself is the buggy problem but occasionally hardware is released with bugs and some people are unlucky enough to wind up with it, happened to me a few times. I find this out after much Googling. ;-)

Comment

I don't believe hardware is the problem, as it works perfectly on Vista and used to work on previous releases (including Kubuntu) too.

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by Caesar View Post
                                I don't believe hardware is the problem, as it works perfectly on Vista and used to work on previous releases (including Kubuntu) too.
                                Hi,

any solution for this problem ?

I've tried with 2 fresh installs on 2 separate laptops, and each time no way to make nvidia drivers work with Kubuntu 13.04 64 bits

On additionnal drivers list, I've got a list of 5 entries exactly the same without any version number "NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library", and activating one of them is useless.

On my desktop computer, which I've updating (not a fresh install), it works fine.

On the laptops, with previous versions of Kubuntu, it was ok.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X