Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin painfully slow opening - second round.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin painfully slow opening - second round.

My first 12.04 install went OK for a while except it would never reboot - always just locked up forcing a manual restart. Eventually and suddenly - Dolphin started having this tremendous delay opening and responding. This was bad enough I did a full re-install. Not my usual response to a problem, but it had gotten to the point I could no longer use the system.

The new install fared better. Rebooting now works as expected. I opted to leave nepomuk, akonadi and whatever demons (not a misspelling) they include on the system for a change just to see how they had improved - although I still don't use any of their "services."

This morning, the Dolphin issue returned, although not quite as bad. There's about a half-second delay when I open it and a similar delay for every action I attempt using it. Mouse hover, changing directories, closing, whatever. It takes almost a full second for a folder to populate with icons once opened. I did a small test - launched dolphin from a terminal with the time command and closed it as soon as the "X" folder decoration to do so was available. The result was 3.8 secs - about four times slower than I am used to.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this or what started it. I did some updates last night, but I can't tell what might have caused this. Nothing is being logged, dolphin is not kicking out errors, CPUs 99.X % idle, 5GB free RAM...

Any ideas where to look? This is bugging the crap out of me....

Please Read Me

New info: I left dolphin open for several minutes while doing other tasks. When I went back to it, it worked normally. After closing and re-opening it, the slowness returned.

Please Read Me

Comment

When you did a reinstall did you keep your home drive and settings? If so try resetting dolphin to its defaults be renaming or moving ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

Comment

Also, whatever is causing this problem is also causing Amarok to do the same thing. Since I use both programs to access my server, maybe it's a network thing?

Please Read Me

Comment

Good idea James, but no change....

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you experience the same with a new user?

Comment

I get a bit of a slow down the same as you. I put it down to dolphin "waking up" my NAS. (Synology Disk Station DS410j)

Once my NAS status light is back on and ready Dolphin is nice and quick.

I'm accessing the NAS using NFS, mounted in my home folder via a fstab entry
              Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Currently, Amarok takes about 5 minutes to start up and then it's minutes between focus when you try and click anything. I suspect the problems are related to networking. If I kill amarok and amarok collection scanner, dolphin returns to normal after a few minutes. My entire music collection is on the server and I have several networked connections set up in dolphin.

One of the biggest differences between this (12.04) install and my last (11.04) install is I've left network manager installed. Previously to 12.04, I've always purged it and configured my network manually. I am attempting to give all the native apps a fair shake before dumping them. I may try removing network manager and I must review my NFS mounts to be sure I haven't done something wrong there.

ps James: I haven't attempted a new user yet, but when I use dolphin as root via the service menu I still see the pause - which makes me think it's effecting all users. I'll try it anyway though just to be sure.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you run sudo iotop while Dolphin is displaying these delays, do you see any high I/O apps? It could be a batch job.
                  I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Tonight my new install deteriated to the same level as the previous - Dolphin unusably slow and the system won't reboot. This time even "ls" issued in a terminal doesn't respond. I am still feeling networking is behind it. One of the things I've done is to link all my networked devices through Dolphin - a samba shared device, my box account via webdav, ssh to my server and so on. This might be part of the problem. The offending apps show disk sleep in ksysguard when this behavior starts.

However, at the moment I'm being "muoned." I did another new install to a spare partition. When I clicked "Full Upgrade" and Apply, Muon began removing KDE. No notice about any packages begin removed, just "317 upgradable" and "320 to install/upgrade." At this moment, I'm letting it run to see what state it leaves me in. I'm going to dump dpkg -l after it finishes trashing this install so I can report this buggy piece of junk package manager before I switch back to apper. I'd like to know who's idea it was to make this thing the default package manager in it's current state. Thank goodness for apt-get...

p.s. Same behavior for second user if I log in first and then out and back in as second user. Logging in as second user first seems to avoid the problem. I'll test this a bit more before moving on (once muon is done )
                    Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 20, 2012, 05:09 AM. Reason: adding ps

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      The offending apps show disk sleep in ksysguard when this behavior starts.
                      Disk sleep indicated that the cpu is waiting for disk io to finish, if its in this state for a long period of time then it probably means there is something wrong with your hard disk (or the connection to your hard disk). I would check all the cables and see if any are loose if not I would try an alternative storage media to see if that experiences the same issue.

The issue surviving a new install might also indicate a hardware issue.

Comment

Agreed that there might be a hardware issue. But my new install doesn't have the issue. More likely it is a problem with a specific file system - I'll have to do some digging to find out which one.

Please Read Me

Comment

Did you look at iotop? One reason to suspect other tasks (consuming I/O though not CPU which you've said is low), rather than a permanent hardware issue, is your observation that after leaving Dolphin for a while it becomes more responsive.
                          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Latest update:

Ok, discovered and fixed one problem but it hasn't helped. I did discover a network issue but that is now resolved but Dolphin still freezes.

iotop shows no activity, ksysguard shows Dolphin in disk sleep, htop shows htop, iotop, and ksysguard as the most active processes!

BTW, df, lsof, and ls freeze in a terminal also...

Please Read Me

Comment

I believe I have narrowed the issue down to the NFS mounts I use and/or the network problem I fixed earlier - could be a combo.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X