Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious grub problem after update this morning (btrfs issue?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although it originally sounded like a kernel problem, because it appeared contemporaneously with a kernel update, the bug report makes it sound more like an issue with os-prober. So that might explain the failure to recognize a btrfs fileystem (and the Linux OS on it) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
      Although it originally sounded like a kernel problem, because it appeared contemporaneously with a kernel update, the bug report makes it sound more like an issue with os-prober. So that might explain the failure to recognize a btrfs fileystem (and the Linux OS on it) as well.

This is greek to me. With the superGRUB disk I can boot my system but not recover it, ie not sure how to reinstall and rescue GRUB, none of the options seem to reinstall it just recognise it and boot it up. I haven't had time to do the reading necessary for this task. It's close to eleven here and pay day, so I'm off to the pub I'll do it first thing in the morning and report back.

B.R
      Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Today I updated reinstalled GRUB2 with the GRUB2 editor ( http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/GRUB2+Editor?content=139643 ) Now it all seemed to have come back. Disks was found again *knock on wood* so seems to be solved, atleast for me.

G2E I had installed priviously for the rescue ability it had. Feels there was some kind of conflict. Not sure. Just thought I'd say if anyone else get hit by this problem, since a Live Kubuntu USB didn't work, only with super GRUB disk.

Jonas
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I had a major problem with GRUB yesterday - moved 12.04 to the partition where 11.10 was residing, which is the primary boot system on the disk. Wouldn't boot, nohow. Had to use a SuperGrubDisk, and then go through the whole grub setup procedure, which didn't help. "sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda" is what finally fixed it.

For what it's worth, I never could get grub to boot with btrfs. Apparently the only way to do it is to use a separate non-btrfs partition with the grub files on it.

<flame on> grub used to "just work", then they improved it, now... <flame off>
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X