Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious grub problem after update this morning (btrfs issue?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious grub problem after update this morning (btrfs issue?)

During an update early this morning I noticed an error and sure enough. it's now impossible to reboot, even by using the "Boot from first hard disk" option offered by the Live CD/USB.
    I saved the log and the error happened about here:

Configuring grub-common (1.99-18ubuntu1) ...
    Configuring grub2-common (1.99-18ubuntu1) ...
    Configuring grub-pc-bin (1.99-18ubuntu1) ...
    Configuring grub-pc (1.99-18ubuntu1) ...
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: file not found.
    Auto-detection of a filesystem of /dev/sda8 failed.
    Try with --recheck.
    If the problem persists please report this together with the output of "/usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map="/boot/grub/device.map" --target=fs -v /boot/grub" to <bug-grub@gnu.org>
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-19-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-19-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-18-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-18-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /@/boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
    Found Ubuntu precise (development branch) (12.04) on /dev/sda6
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sdb2
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sdb3
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sdb8
    Found Ubuntu precise (development branch) (12.04) on /dev/sdb9
    done
    Auto-detection of a filesystem of /dev/sda8 failed, this is the / for the brtfs install.

(And Ooops!, I had the HD of my previous computer hooked up bia USB and that's what showed up as /dev/sdb)

This laptop has Win7 and two times 12.04 installed, the crash happened while in the version installed on brtfs, using the grub file on the external disk I can still access the ext4 install and that's where I'm in right now.

When I do sudo upgrade-grub the only partition recognised is the present but it does not result in a bootable system.
    Without the external disk this grub menu is displayed white on black but any and all options are terminated with
    error: no such partition
    When I try sudo update-grub from the Live CD I get an error stating /dev is not mounted.

Update:
    In the mean time I have run
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    and I can do a regular boot into the ext4 version.
    Update-grub does still not recognise the Win7 and btrfs OS's.

What I've so far googled suggests to run the Win7 CD for a repair but I feel this would not fix the problem with the brtfs install.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Any of the new kernels should recognize a btrfs filesystem, so that error is a bit scary -- like the filesystem itself is corrupted, maybe. First I would try to mount it in the OS that works. If it mounts and you can see the directory structure and files on it, then that means the filesystem is probably OK. But if it won't mount correctly or you can't see the directories and files, then ....

BTW, while I'll happily recommend btrfs for data storage partitions, especially large muti-device storage, it really is not designed to be any better than ext4 for running the OS itself. And since it still has no stable repair utility, it isn't readily fixable if you lose power or something like that (i.e. not a candidate for laptops).
    Last edited by dibl; Mar 20, 2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The problem is indeed the brtfs format not being recognised by grub-probe.
      Apparently this was recently enabled but presently in regression.

The conclusion is that brtfs is NOT suited for a boot partition.

Right now I've too little time to investigate working twelve hour shifts while living in a hotel with a 256KB/s connection so I have reinstalled on ext4.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        Right now I've too little time to investigate working twelve hour shifts while living in a hotel with a 256KB/s connection ...
        Depending on WHERE the hotel is located, that could be either great, or awful!

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          Depending on WHERE the hotel is located, that could be either great, or awful!
          Hm. OK, let's vote. If you had to choose, would it be...

Bandwidth!

...or...

Sand!

Comment

Both options are silica (SiO2) based...

When I'm here during daylight and look out I see sheep.

Anyhow, the machine runs fine, even Win-7 has shown up again.
            I still have to play with the edgers ppa because bumblebee is giving an error but that's for another night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0344sc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	639872

Comment

I'd have to vote Bandwidth! I could tolerate a less than ideal locale if I have quality Internet access. I would find it hard to tolerate an ideal locale and no Internet!
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Both options are silica (SiO2) based...
                Hah. Didn't even think of that -- slick observation!

When I'm here during daylight and look out I see sheep.
                Sheep that apparently require a...clock? What is that place, a Marshall Field? BWAHAHAHA! Actually, that photo is odd enough that I'm going to try to figure out how to work into a presentation.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                I'd have to vote Bandwidth! I could tolerate a less than ideal locale if I have quality Internet access. I would find it hard to tolerate an ideal locale and no Internet!
                We are truly geeks.

Comment

I'm completely clueless regarding grub and boot managing. So I always use ext4 for my partitions, but I have this issue aswell, since yesterday morning updates. I can boot up thru the paralell debian install I have, but as stated - I don't know how to look in to this. Any basic help for me learning and understand, maybe I (my box) could shed some light to the issue.

/Jonas

Oh and that beach looks awfully lonely? If there isn't a partner on that sofa, I'd choose bandwidth ... if the partner is fetching a drink I'd say most deffo Sand!

edit2;
                  Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

Sheep that apparently require a...clock? What is that place, a Marshall Field? BWAHAHAHA! Actually, that photo is odd enough that I'm going to try to figure out how to work into a presentation.
                  lol, that sheep looks like he/she waiting for the bus - maybe have had it up to his/her ears with the poor bandwidth, to a sunny beach
                  Last edited by Jonas; Mar 21, 2012, 03:12 AM. Reason: question and typo
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Right now I've too little time to investigate working twelve hour shifts while living in a hotel with a 256KB/s connection so I have reinstalled on ext4.
                    Last year I had occasion to stay in a guest house (less than 20 rooms) in Accra, Ghana ... with free 14Mb/s internet. That's faster than any speed then available to consumers in South Africa.
                    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

The main computer that I have Precise on is a Compaq Presario CQ1 All-in-One and after the Grub update and a reboot, it failed and just emitter repetitive beeps. Nothing to show why it failed. I downloaded the latest build and tried reinstalling with a couple of different options and these all failed. So this computer is now useless and collecting dust.

I have an old PC (i386) that also has Precise on it for checking when such calamities occur, and after all the updates it went through without a hitch and is now the only working Precise computer that I have. So I am wondering if the grub problem is Bios related. I hope this problem is fixed soon. I will probably wait till the weekend and have another go.

Comment

I have to agree with SR. What's with the clock!?!?

I also agree with Snowhog on which one would rather have.

Comment

Jonas, the first thing to do after booting in the working Debian is tlso o open a Konsole or terminal and running the command
                          Code:
                          sudo upgrade-grub
                          This should pick up all bootable partitions and make a new grub instance including the now missing entry of Kubuntu.

That's what not worked for me, contrary to a week ago anything on btrfs is now causing /usr/sbin/grub-probe to stall, basically making your computer unbootable.
                          You used the well supported ext4 so you should have less of a problem restoring grub.

There are aseveral external Live CD's to help repairing a botched grub or boot sequence, SuperGrub disk is probably best known.
                          A regular Live CD might also be of help, especially commands from the terminal give a good feedback as to where something stops.

Please be aware a Live CD installed on a USB drive is much faster and convenient.

Comment

Jonas, the first thing to do after booting in the working Debian is tlso o open a Konsole or terminal and running the command
                            Code:
                            sudo upgrade-grub
                            This should pick up all bootable partitions and make a new grub instance including the now missing entry of Kubuntu.

That's what not worked for me, contrary to a week ago anything on btrfs is now causing /usr/sbin/grub-probe to stall, basically making your computer unbootable.
                            You used the well supported ext4 so you should have less of a problem restoring grub.

There are aseveral external Live CD's to help repairing a botched grub or boot sequence, SuperGrub disk is probably best known.
                            A regular Live CD might also be of help, especially commands from the terminal give a good feedback as to where something stops.

Please be aware a Live CD installed on a USB drive is much faster and convenient.
                            yes, that's what I've been doing, and has worked up til now. Today update-grub on the debian install wont find the Kubuntu install/kernel. Will have to research this with a liveUSB, be it SuperGrub och kubuntu liveUSB.

Will report back if I can resolve this.

b.r

Jonas

PS; It's funny because i think that the last 3 releases I've had no major problem in aplha stage, but when it hits beta, I have one or two issue that make me have to reinstall the system.
                            Last edited by Jonas; Mar 22, 2012, 05:54 AM.
                            ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

looking at launchpad I think this bug is the cause - looks very similar as my trouble.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/960010

EDIT: *some hours later*installed super grub on a USB and it gave me entry back into precise install, a fresh kubuntu liveUSB of 12.04 nor 11.10 was it possible to access the installs, all froze. Not sure if I repaired GRUB but atleast I can save whatever I have here worth saving. I'll research it some more, hopefully the new kernel tonight give me GRUB up and running(?).

br
                              Jonas
                              Last edited by Jonas; Mar 22, 2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X