Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just started the upgrade on one of machines, I'll probably wait 'till it's been out at least a week before I upgrade my lappy that I use for school.
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I'll wait until it's official release plus a few weeks before I replace 11.04 with 12.04. Then I'll start booting into 12.04 and see how it fares and how I like it, while keeping 11.10 intact. Eventually, as has been my pattern, I'll find that 12.04 is superior to 11.10, and I'll then be using it as my main Kubuntu, and 11.10 will become my 'safety net' Kubuntu.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Today's updates installed nicely, Precise works beautifully.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm well impressed with how well Precise is working at such an early stage.
          The only spoiler for me is the nVidia driver that makes it near impossible to run a second screen, even on a single screen starting a new application hangs the system for a couple of seconds but at least it doesn't crash.
          The Nouveau driver is stable but just terribly slow when moving windows etc.

Comment

Today the kernel upgraded to 3.2.0-14-generic.

Later I noticed that my idle temperature with no apps running was 95-97F. Before it as 102 +- 1. The temp while browsing with FF 10.0 is 100F. It used to be105F. Under load with Stellarium and other 3D apps the temp before the upgrade was 134F. Now it is 127F.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jfernyhough View Post
              Instead I had to use
              $ sudo do-release-upgrade -f kde -d
              I just did this and the -f kde didn't work, the console shows "can't load kde (No module named kde)" and it puts up a Gnome UI for "Distribution Upgrade". I filed bug 926946.

So far it's working OK.
              * It installed a lot of new .i386 stuff for GTK2 and such on my amd64 system, maybe it's all ia32-libs-multiarch stuff. apt says I need ia32-libs for wine1.3
              * I lost 1.3 GB of disk space in /, I don't know if it's from ia32-libs. I got 2GB back with sudo apt-get clean
              * The default fixed-width font shrank in Thunderbird, I don't know why.
              * Kate now complains about lines longer than 1,024. What kind of editor loses the ability to handle long lines?
              * The Alt-Tab preview is crazily large.

My big confusion is what I upgraded to. In a few days I've already received two enormous Software Updates, am I now doing the equivalent of updating to every new daily build?

Comment

Kate long lines workaround.

Originally posted by skierpage View Post
                * Kate now complains about lines longer than 1,024. What kind of editor loses the ability to handle long lines?
                You can increase Settings > Configure Kate > Editor Component > Open/Save/General > Line Length Limit , someone filed KDE Bug 292703 that this should be documented and the alert should point you at the configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Later I noticed that my idle temperature with no apps running was 95-97F. Before it as 102 +- 1. The temp while browsing with FF 10.0 is 100F. It used to be105F. Under load with Stellarium and other 3D apps the temp before the upgrade was 134F. Now it is 127F.
                  Keeping my PCs cool is an obsession of mine. I wrote a How-to explaining the steps I take to get temperatures under control.

I just did this and the -f kde didn't work, the console shows "can't load kde (No module named kde)" and it puts up a Gnome UI for "Distribution Upgrade". I filed bug 926946... My big confusion is what I upgraded to. In a few days I've already received two enormous Software Updates, am I now doing the equivalent of updating to every new daily build?
                  Hm...don't think I'd recommend a do-release-upgrade in the middle of a development cycle. I'm not even sure whether that's tested.

Comment

<SNIP>
                    My big confusion is what I upgraded to. In a few days I've already received two enormous Software Updates, am I now doing the equivalent of updating to every new daily build?
                    Yes, Precise is in a very fast development cycle, at least twice a day you see revisions of packages being made available.

Comment

$ sudo do-release-upgrade -f kde -d

was what I did (My X Server wasn't even on when I did this), after reboot I ran sudo apt-get clean

Working fine...
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

So you guys are using sudo do-release-upgrade -f kde -d successfully? Because every time I run it I get:

Checking for a new ubuntu release
                        No new release found

Is there a repository I need to add to apt first?

Comment

The only issue I'm having right now with 12.04 is that everytime I turn it on, the screen resolution is at 640x480. No matter what I set it to, it's back to 640x480 at next reboot. Otherwise it's working fine.

Comment

When looking a screen problems you need to mention what hardware and drivers are involved.

Comment

I'm running it under VmWare Workstation version 8. Installed the VMware tools.

Comment

That's cool!
                                sudo sensors-detect
                                sensors
                                Learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X