dual monitor settings not saving

here's the original post in ubuntu forums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1891568

and the bug report he posted:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/898390

anyone else experiencing this?
    is there another bug report on this?

Re: dual monitor settings not saving

Are you looking for validation of your bug report or suggestions on how to work around it?

Please Read Me

Comment

ummm, it needs to be fixed lol. Validation would be nice if you can test it out.

it's not bothering me, i'm on oneiric for main, precise is precisely for testing. It should work for the people coming from windows and expecting it to work. Click, set, save. that's all.

Comment

Looks like the bug includes the use of AMD graphics. Upon closer examination, the bug report doesn't list which graphics card is used.

FWIW, I've tried running dual montitors off my nVidia card and not using an xorg.conf os Oshunluvr suggests elsewhere. While nvidia-settings does create its own rc file, that file appears relatively powerless for helping my dual-monitor setup remember how to behave. When I reverted to saving the configuration in xorg.conf, applications and windows behave as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
          Looks like the bug includes the use of AMD graphics.

FWIW, I've tried running dual montitors off my nVidia card and not using an xorg.conf os Oshunluvr suggests elsewhere. While nvidia-settings does create its own rc file, that file appears relatively powerless for helping my dual-monitor setup remember how to behave. When I reverted to saving the configuration in xorg.conf, applications and windows behave as expected.
          Yeah, I think the "new" paradigm is to use Xsession and xrandr for monitor settings (dual, resolution, orientation, et. al.) and nvidia-settings.rc for driver specific stuff rather than a single xorg.conf file. In my case, I have overclock settings in the .rc file but I still am using the xorg.conf for everything else. Just seems cleaner - or maybe I'm too old-school (I'm not afraid of nano or vim ).

I'm not sure why this push away from xorg.conf - I suppose it has to do with the mobility of most devices now-a-days. IMO xorg.conf is the way to go for a desktop computer.

[Modedit: fixed quote error.]

Please Read Me

Comment

that's interesting as i have intel graphics

Comment

I misread the bug report. Actually, it doesn't mention which graphics card is used. I changed my post above.

Comment

Working...
              X