This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve:

Yes, the discs are proper Microsoft disks with product key and hologram and they all seem to behave properly when I do a test run on my desktop PC. What you show is precisely what I saw when I installed Windows XP (except mine is XP Pro) on my desktop PCs. It does not run like this on my laptop (notebook) - see my reply to Snowhog. This is what I long to see and what I expected. It just doesn't happen :-(

I was sort of hoping there might be some way of re-formatting my hard drive so I am sure it's clean but it appears not.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

Take a photograph of the blue screen so I can see what's causing the crash.

Comment

The NB100 has no optical drive, right? How are you connecting your Windows installation media to it? If you're using a USB connection to an optical drive, I wonder if that's involved with the problem. Unfortunately, with the MS GWA scam, you can't pull the hard drive and do the installation on a computer with an optical drive, and then put your notebook back together, like you can with Linux. Possibly one of the "windows on usb drive" techniques could work.
        Last edited by dibl; Dec 31, 2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Steve Riley: Unfortunately, I removed the Linux partitions as part of my attempts to resolve the issue, so I can't show you a screen dump. I may re-install Linux just so I can use the machine on my travels and, if so, I'll do a screen dump.

dibl: That's right, the NB100 has no optical drive and I was using an external one attached by USB. I was speaking to someone who recommended putting the notebook's hard drive into a USB cradle and re-formatting it from my desktop PC. Problem is, the hard drive is a pig to access physically and I''m loath to start delving inside in case I screw something up - I'm not in any way technical and, as things stand, I can at least use the machine with Linux on board - just not for the purpose I intended.

Thank you both for your interest.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X