This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to reformat my hard drive

I have a laptop running Kubuntu 11.10 and I want to uninstall Kubuntu, so that I can re-format the hard drive. Unfortunately, I don't know how to achieve this. I'm sure there must be some command line that I can enter into a terminal or something else I can do but I just can't find out what it is >

Could somebody give me the correct command(s) or offer some other suggestion as to how I can achiev my objective?

Thanks,
    Mike

If you are going to reformat, you don't need to uninstall. Reformatting will erase everything. Use a LiveCD of GParted (recommended) to accomplish this.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I want to reformat my hard drive

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If you are going to reformat, you don't need to uninstall. Reformatting will erase everything. Use a LiveCD of GParted (recommended) to accomplish this.
      OK, what is a "LiveCD of GParted"? I'm afraid I am non-technical and have very little knowledge of Linux environments. Do I need to purchase some software or something?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Comment

Is Kubuntu 11.10 the only operating system on the laptop?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I use Parted Magic to do partitioning/formatting. You can download it from here: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

It includes Gparted and other tools. Make sure you back up any data on the laptop you want to keep before you do any formatting. There are some other links on that page explaining how to write the downloaded image to CD/DVD/USB flash drive and other useful info.

Just what is it you are trying to achieve by doing this though? If you want to install another OS you could just format the disk during the installation process.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I want to use the laptop for some Windows applications that will not run on Linux even with. Wine installed. I use Kubuntu on my desktop PC and don't want to have both systems on my laptop.

I have tried installing Windows XP from my disc without removing Ubuntu but it will not work. I have therefore decided to remove Ubuntu and then install Windows as if I had a completely new hard drive.Cheers,

Mike

Comment

in this case you dont even need to download the parted magic cd .
                just fire up the cd/dvd/usb you used to install Kubuntu/Ubuntu and use the kde partition manager(if Kubuntu) or gparted(if Ubuntu) to delete all the partitions on the disk , then create 1 partition that takes up the hole disk and format it NTFS , now install your XP

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  in this case you dont even need to download the parted magic cd .
                  just fire up the cd/dvd/usb you used to install Kubuntu/Ubuntu and use the kde partition manager(if Kubuntu) or gparted(if Ubuntu) to delete all the partitions on the disk , then create 1 partition that takes up the hole disk and format it NTFS , now install your XP

VINNY
                  This is what I would suggest. Use your old LiveCD/USB with K/Ubuntu and boot it as "Try K/Ubuntu without installing" (- this is what people mean when they say 'Live session', you run the OS from CD/USB and can erase, modify, partition etc the actual harddrive) then follow Vinnys suggestions.

Make sure you format the drive to NTFS.

b.r

Jonas
                  Last edited by Jonas; Dec 25, 2012, 04:43 AM. Reason: clarification
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Thanks, guys, that worked fine - until I tried to install Windows XP. After loading all the files, I got the "Windows is starting" message followed by the blue screen of death, telling me I might have a virus or to remove any new hard drives or to check the hard drive is correctly configured & terminated and finally to run CHKDSK /F. Since there is no new hard drive, and I configured to an NTFS filing system when I deleted the partitions and created the new one, I'm stumped.

I guess investigating problems with Windows is not the function of this forum. All I can now think of is to go back and run Kubuntu from the CD to see if I have some issues with the partition. If I remove the NTFS partition, should my Windows XP disc not create any required partition with the appropriate filing system?

Anyway, I appreciate the assistance I have received.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike0liver View Post
                      Thanks, guys, that worked fine - until I tried to install Windows XP. After loading all the files, I got the "Windows is starting" message followed by the blue screen of death, telling me I might have a virus or to remove any new hard drives or to check the hard drive is correctly configured & terminated and finally to run CHKDSK /F. Since there is no new hard drive, and I configured to an NTFS filing system when I deleted the partitions and created the new one, I'm stumped.

I guess investigating problems with Windows is not the function of this forum. All I can now think of is to go back and run Kubuntu from the CD to see if I have some issues with the partition. If I remove the NTFS partition, should my Windows XP disc not create any required partition with the appropriate filing system?

Anyway, I appreciate the assistance I have received.

Mike
                      at this point you should have run CHKDSK /f from the recovery console on the XP cd ,,,,, windows is finiky about it's file system.
                      or use the partitioning tool on the XP cd or during installation to re partition the drive .

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When I run my Windows installation disk (I have three valid ones, all of which I purchased legitimately and they all behave the same way), I do not get an option to set up or access a Recovery Console. I have the option to press F2 and use am Automated System Recovery Disk but I do not have one of these. Neither can I access a partitioning tool on the Windows installation disk(s). Is there some way I can use my desktop PC to produce some kind of ASR disk that will work?

If I am pursuing a subject to which the administrators of this forum object, I apologise - but I am desperate - I now have a Toshiba Notebook that has no operating system and some Windows installation disks that do nothing but death screens :-(

Cheers,
                        Mike

Comment

As the purchaser/owner of the laptop, you have the 'right' to a copy of the full Windows installation CDs. Either your retailer or Microsoft have to provide you with this if you ask/demand. What you seem to have are rescue CD's that depend on the original rescue partitions on the HDD. This is typical Microsoft behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by mike0liver View Post
                            When I run my Windows installation disk (I have three valid ones, all of which I purchased legitimately and they all behave the same way)
                            Are these retail installation CD-ROMs? If so, then they can do all the work, no need to use any other tools to prepare your hard drive. Simply place your installation disc in the drive, boot your PC from the disc, and allow the installer to start. Early in the installation process, you'll be asked about drives and partitions. A box will list existing partitions. See the example below:

Regardless of how your particular partitions might be labeled, delete all of them. Highlight (with your arrow keys) each partition and press D. The installer will display an "Are you sure?" screen; press L to confirm. The installer might think at least one partition is a "system" partition, and you'll have to press Enter then L to confirm.

When all partitions are deleted, you should see this:

Now just press Enter, and the installer will use your entire disk. The next screen asks for which kind of file system; choose "NTFS (Quick)." From this point, XP will complete installation.
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 31, 2012, 12:41 AM.

Comment

The laptop (actually a Toshiba NB100 Notebook) came with Ubuntu Linux loaded as the operating system, it is my decision to remove this and install Windows. One of the Windows XP Pro discs is the one I purchased from Microsoft and used to install Windows on my desktop PC. The second is one I purchased on line a couple of weeks ago for the specific purpose of installing Windows on my laptop. It appears to be working correctly when I run it on my desktop PC. The third disk is an old one which I used to install Windows on an old desktop PC a few years ago. I haven't tested this to see if it works (other than on the laptop as a check to see how it behaved).

All these disks (which have the oficial Microsoft product key and hologram) give the same result when I try to install on my laptop. They do not show the normal setup screen (as shown in Steve Riley's posting) they show a blue screen with Windows Setup as a header and a white toolbar at the bottom of the screen indicating the process of loading Windows files. I get the option to press F6 to install a SCSI or RAID driver and F2 to run a Windows Automated System Recovery disc (which I do not possess). When this process is complete, the screen says that Windows is being installed, which lasts for around 30 seconds and then changes to the blue screen of death.

It seems to me that there must be some hangover from when I removed the Kubuntu partitions but I'm not enough of a tecchie to be sure or work out what I have to do. I have tried running Kubuntu from the installation disk again and looking at the partition situation but it all looks the way I think it should.

I fear I am going to have to write off my laptop (notebook) as a Windows facility and go back to Linux - which isn't the idea at all!

Cheers,
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X