This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu-Desktop to be removed!

I just carried out apt-get update and dist-upgrade.

Apparently Kubuntu-desktop is to be removed, does not sound like a good idea.

Is it safe to proceed or should I just wait till later?

I also see some akonadi stuff is being held back.
    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Originally posted by Batty View Post
    Hi...

I agree completely, it doesn't sound like a good idea at all. I would hold off until you receive competent advice on how to proceed. :neutral:

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Batty View Post
      I just carried out apt-get update and dist-upgrade.

Is it safe to proceed or should I just wait till later?

I also see some akonadi stuff is being held back.
      I did the same and I think that I got the same result.
      After the upgrade I get the login screen, then type my user name and password, and only a screen with a wallpaper appears with no activities on it... is there anything to do to get the desktop on? (sorry for my poor English)
      Last edited by the_danwhale; Apr 11, 2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Kubuntu-desktop:
        This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system. Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or Netbook installation.

It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages are not desired.
        This is a "meta" package, which means if you install it - it drags a whole list of stuff with it - the Kubuntu Desktop. However, if there are parts of the meta package list you don't want, like network-manager for example, you will have to remove the meta package to prevent the other removed items from being updated or re-installed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just done a quick check and it no longer wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop any longer.
          I must be more patient in future!
          Glad I read the output before proceeding, a lesson learnt from past mistakes!

@the_danwhale if you allowed apt-get to remove kubuntu-desktop it should just be a matter of reinstalling kubuntu-desktop.
          Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Yes, you should be very wary of upgrades what remove kubuntu-desktop as they normally lead to a broken desktop. This is normally fixed shortly so keep running apt-get update till it goes away
            Originally posted by the_danwhale View Post
            I did the same and I think that I got the same result.
            After the upgrade I get the login screen, then type my user name and password, and only a screen with a wallpaper appears with no activities on it... is there anything to do to get the desktop on? (sorry for my poor English)
            Its likely something important was removed when kubuntu-desktop was removed, you can reinstall kubuntu-desktop to fix the problem. To do this switch to a tty (press ALT+CTRL+F1) log in with your normal user and password, then run
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            you can switch back to the gui by pressing ALT+CTRL+F7-0 (normally F7, but if that dosnt work try F8 or F9...)

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              Yes, you should be very wary of upgrades what remove kubuntu-desktop as they normally lead to a broken desktop. This is normally fixed shortly so keep running apt-get update till it goes away

Its likely something important was removed when kubuntu-desktop was removed, you can reinstall kubuntu-desktop to fix the problem. To do this switch to a tty (press ALT+CTRL+F1) log in with your normal user and password, then run
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              you can switch back to the gui by pressing ALT+CTRL+F7-0 (normally F7, but if that dosnt work try F8 or F9...)
              Thank you guys . ) I did reinstall of the system a few days ago.

Comment

Working...
              X