This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde-service-menu-rootactions

Hello all, first let me say yes i know there is a lot of stuff on this out there that I have checked but can't seem to find any results for oneric. I have checked samrog131 and can only find it for earlier versions as i've used in the past but nothing for 11.10. If anyone can help me get the service menu root actions again that would be great. I just started using 11.10 from 10.10 and would just like to get the fine tuning done using dolphin. Thank you
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=48411

Please Read Me

Comment

In 11.10, open Dolphin. Go to Settings > Configure > Services > Download New Services. It's installable from there. I just did it and it works great.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Download New Services says I have Root Actions Servicemenu (and 3 others) installed, but none appear in the list of Services with checkboxes, and none appear in the right-click menu in Dolphin.

I looked in ~/.kde/share/kde4/services, but there was nothing there for any of these service menus. Tried updating, uninstalling, re-installing (the service menu stuff, not the OS), logging out; no luck.

When I updated Root Actions (using the Update button in DNS), a corresponding tar.gz file showed up in ~/.kde/share/apps/servicemenu-download, but that's it. Still no right-click menu.

I also tried to install Root Actions in a clean 12.04 virtual machine. Same results. Both are amd64.

Any suggestions on how to "reset" Dolphin so it will work with Download New Services?

Comment

For GHNS ("Get hot new stuff" or "download new services") to work in dolphin, you need to have ruby (package "ruby1.8" or "ruby1.9.1" on 12.04) installed...dolphin needs ruby to run the install script. So that's the first thing to check if the installation doesn't work.

Comment

Thanks kubicle, that's progress. After installing ruby, I went back into DNS and "updated" Root Actions. Got the prompt about installing in /usr/bin. The Services list then had a bunch of blank entries. Closed and re-opened Dolphin and saw all the Root Actions in the Services list, and they show up in the right-click menu. Yay.

DNS is still confused. It still says Root Actions needs to Update, and says I have stuff installed that doesn't show up anywhere, but that's minor.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              For GHNS ("Get hot new stuff" or "download new services") to work in dolphin, you need to have ruby (package "ruby1.8" or "ruby1.9.1" on 12.04) installed...dolphin needs ruby to run the install script. So that's the first thing to check if the installation doesn't work.
              Ah, sweet Root Actions Service Menu. This is one of the *most* important (IMO) services menus one can have for Dolphin. I missed it, and until now, having seen your post, didn't think about installing it via Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin... > Services > Download New Services...

I used to add the samrog131 ppa to get the package, but as he doesn't have it for oneiric, installing this way (your 'original' work on kde-apps.org) works like a champ (I did already have ruby1.8 installed).
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for the responces, it seems to have installed correctly through Download New Servives. Thank you "dequire" for the suggestion and also to the rest for your input.
                AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  I used to add the samrog131 ppa to get the package, but as he doesn't have it for oneiric
                  I think rog stopped packaging it once the DNS/GHNS installation method was "stable".
                  If one prefers deb installation, rog's natty package should work fine in more recent versions of kubuntu (even though the menu version in the natty package is slightly outdated...no major changes, though), and one could probably get a deb from linux mint (mint has the package in their repos) which should work on kubuntu as well (although I haven't tried it).

The main difference with deb package and DNS/GHNS installation is that DNS installs the service menu for the installing user only, while the deb packages install it system wide. IMO the DNS method is better if you have non-admin users and don't wish to clutter their menus with useless (for non-admin users) actions. Otherwise it shouldn't make much of difference.

And of course you can install the files manually from the .tar.gz package (doesn't require compilation, just copying a few files to correct locations).

Nice to hear people find the menu useful

Comment

Thank you for your efforts Kubicle, I actually downloaded it from your KDE page but was having trouble with the install, but the DNS works great for me due to me being the only user on this machine anyway so this will work for now and thanks for the added info above, it'll come in handy soon i'm sure. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      Nice to hear people find the menu useful
                      Absolutely! Could not imagine Dolphin without it. Why it's not merged into KDE-proper I have no idea, since it still requires root PW to execute.
                      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X