This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.8 beta

Nope, sound is fine. Check your mixer settings.

Comment

If any of you guys using RC2 can confirm this bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290871 please vote on it. I find it totally irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        * Do not select server-side subscriptions or disconnected mode
        Why not? it works fine for me and means I can uncheck things like the "All Mail" folder which prevents duplicate downloads of emails

Comment

Originally posted by silviucc
          If any of you guys using RC2 can confirm this bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290871 please vote on it. I find it totally irritating.
          Can't duplicate it myself

Comment

Anybody else getting the virtuoso-t process running away? It gobbles up to 98% of both my dual-core processors?
            I can stop it with "sudo killall -9 virtuoso-t" but it often re-starts. It was an earlier bug, but was supposed to have been cured. Definitely not fixed as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by silviucc
              I do not see this behavior.

Does not matter whether or not it is a hidden system tray icon or shown. Tested Skype (unhidden) and the Printer applet (hidden).

I don't use kopete, but even with the option selected, I can't seem to get it to show in the system tray...

Comment

Hi All,

I've upgraded to Beta PPA today. Just for fun

I must have been really lucky, everything seems great!

Sound working fine with gstreamer phonon backend, VLC phonon backend seems to suffer from a bit of distortion though.

Really good bits

I can play CDs with Amarok!!

I can forward HTML messages in Kmail !!

Only Bug - I know alot of people don't like Akonadi but I'm getting no problems with it and wanted to make it my default . When I go to KDE resources in system settings I cannot change Kaddress book to Akonadi-resource as it tells me it is read-only. I keep unticking it but it doesn't change.

Dave
                Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

The rm commands failed due to those being read-only file systems, even when logged in as root. I continued and reconfigured KMail anyway. What I get now is a whole flurry of error messages from the notifications in the panel:

"Gmail:Unknown error.(Unable to append item flags.)"

This popped up about 18 times. No mail, though. Thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. But I'm not going to spend any more time on KMail for awhile. No mail client should be this much trouble. And I already have one that works.

Originally posted by jcphil
                  Akonadi continues to be a total hairball for me. If I create a new IMAP resource and click "Modify" it refuses to do anything (I never got a chance to configure it on creation).
                  Start clean. Reboot, then when KDM starts, don't log in. Instead, switch to another TTY and then:

rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi/*
                  rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*
                  rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*
                  rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/nepomuk*
                  rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/*

(Yes, lines 2 and 4 do not have slahes in front of the stars.)

Now exit the TTY, log in to KDE, and configure Gmail in KMail. When you're creating your IMAP configuration:

General tab
                  * IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
                  * Username: email@gmail.com (sometimes Gmail is confused if you omit the domain)

Advanced tab
                  * Click Auto Detect to set up authentication

Comment

Last night, about 1:30AM, I got a popup saying over a hundred updates were ready. Actually, they came in three waves, before no further notices popped up. When I tried KMail ALL the previous problems I had reported were now gone. KMail is behaving perfectly for me on my Precise beta installation.

It reports its version as 4.8rc2 (4.7.97)
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                      Why not? it works fine for me and means I can uncheck things like the "All Mail" folder which prevents duplicate downloads of emails
                      Mostly for simplicity of configuration. In my experience, it's better to use Gmail's UI to determine which folders to display in IMAP. In Gmail Settings | Labels, I've selected "Show in IMAP" for these labels:

* Inbox
                      * Sent Mail
                      * Drafts
                      * Spam
                      * Trash
                      * (other labels connected to rules for sorting purposes)

In Gmail Settings | Forwarding and POP/IMAP, I have configured:

* Auto-expunge off - wait for client to update server
                      * Immediate delete message forever

In Configure KMail | Identity | Advanced, I have configured:

* Sent-mail folder: Gmail/[Gmail]/Sent Mail
                      * Drafts folder: Gmail/[Gmail]/Drafts

In Configure KMail | Accounts | {Gmail account} | Advanced, I set the trash folder to the one on Gmail.

All these steps now faithfully reproduce my Gmail in KMail, including true message deletion (as opposed to simply removing all labels). I use labels purely the old-fashioned way, as folders -- I don't have a need to mark emails with multiple labels.

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil
                        The rm commands failed due to those being read-only file systems, even when logged in as root. I continued and reconfigured KMail anyway. What I get now is a whole flurry of error messages from the notifications in the panel:

"Gmail:Unknown error.(Unable to append item flags.)"

This popped up about 18 times. No mail, though. Thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. But I'm not going to spend any more time on KMail for awhile. No mail client should be this much trouble. And I already have one that works.
                        I'm going to hazard a guess that you have some problems unrelated to KMail. Why is the file system containing your home folder being mounted as read-only?

Also, the item flag problem was reported as a bug to KDE a while back. So far, the only fix has been to completely purge all existing Akonadi databases. But I think you'll need to sort your read-only problem before you can do that.

Comment

Anyone else noticing the Device Notifier not removing USB devices? In both RC1 and RC2 hitting the safely remove button there does nothing, but doing the same from Dophin works just fine...

Comment

Mostly for simplicity of configuration. In my experience, it's better to use Gmail's UI to determine which folders to display in IMAP. In Gmail Settings | Labels
                            Thanks, I didn't know you could do that

Comment

Are there plans to upgrade QT to 4.8 as well?

Comment

In the past a Kmail message would give the option of looking at an HTML mail as HTML through pressing the link button in the Warning Note which used to appear at the top of the mail:-

_________________________________________________
                                Note: This HTML message may contain external references to images etc. For security/privacy reasons external references are not loaded. If you trust the sender of this message then you can load the external references for this message by clicking here.

_________________________________________________

Now when I get HTML mails all I see is half a page (or sometimes, several pages) of HTML mark-up coding; sometimes it's difficult to even see the message! Is there a settingI have not noticed? I've done all the obvious things - blitzing and reloading all Akonadi databases, purging and re-loading Kontact and Kmail, etc., but still have the problem!

Comment

Working...
                                X