X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.8 beta

Originally posted by dingo
    i got an .xsession-errors log posted here... anyone see anything??
    Yep. This...

Code:
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
    (Parent is Soprano::Client::LocalSocketClient(0x1149a18), parent's thread is QThread(0xf98790), current thread is RankingsUpdateThread(0x10e2200)
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
    "/usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd(1287)" Soprano: "Invalid iterator."
    ...is spamming my .xsession-errors file with reckless abandon. I have disabled all of Nepomuk in System Settings. I noticed in Akonadi Console that there was still a Nepomuk feeder agent; I just deleted that, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Same KMix version...

ronnoc@ronnoc-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy kmix
      kmix:
      Installed: 4:4.7.95-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1
      Candidate: 4:4.7.95-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1
      Version table:
      *** 4:4.7.95-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1 0
      500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/beta/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      4:4.7.4-0ubuntu0.1~ppa1 0
      500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
      4:4.7.3-0ubuntu0.1 0
      500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64 Packages
      4:4.7.1-0ubuntu2 0
      500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
        LOL, quoting my own reply :-D

I just found out that they have integrated the icon-only task manager and its very similar to smooth-tasks. I think I like it better, actually

Joe
        I had icon-tasks installed through another ppa .. now it is broken and hinder me from upgrading :S

Muon give this error
        Code:
        Package: /var/cache/apt/archives/plasma-widgets-addons_4%3a4.7.90-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1_amd64.deb
        Error: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/kde4/plasma_applet_icontasks.so', which is also in package plasma-widget-icon-tasks 0.9.2-0ubuntu0~gnumdk2
        removing plasma_applet_icontasks.so didn't help, any suggestions ?

b.r

Jonas
        This might be late, but your problem can be solved by forcing dpkg to overwrite the resident file. First navigate to where the package to be installed is (should be 'cd /var/cache/apt/archives') in a terminal, then run 'sudo dpkg -i plasma-widgets-addons_4%3a4.7.90-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1_amd64.deb --force-overwrite'. Should help.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 09, 2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ekeluo

LOL, quoting my own reply :-D

I just found out that they have integrated the icon-only task manager and its very similar to smooth-tasks. I think I like it better, actually

Joe
          I had icon-tasks installed through another ppa .. now it is broken and hinder me from upgrading :S

Muon give this error
          Code:
          Package: /var/cache/apt/archives/plasma-widgets-addons_4%3a4.7.90-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1_amd64.deb
          Error: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/kde4/plasma_applet_icontasks.so', which is also in package plasma-widget-icon-tasks 0.9.2-0ubuntu0~gnumdk2
          removing plasma_applet_icontasks.so didn't help, any suggestions ?

b.r

Jonas

This might be late, but your problem can be solved by forcing dpkg to overwrite the resident file. First navigate to where the package to be installed is (should be 'cd /var/cache/apt/archives') in a terminal, then run 'sudo dpkg -i plasma-widgets-addons_4%3a4.7.90-0ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric1_amd64.deb --force-overwrite'. Should help.

I fixed it with rebooting and repair packages in recovery mode. However I have another problem with some applications crash-report when I shut them down. Most annoying is with Dolphin as this is something I close alot, others are Amarok, Akonadi KDE-session manager(that crashj on shutdown). Seem to only/mainly effect core apps of KDE, i.e Blender, GIMP and Firefox doesn't give this crash report, however kate doesn't display this behaviour.

oh yea, and Kmix is a real resource hogger , about ~15% CPU usage
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I added the PPA and updated to KDE 4.8 Beta, on my 11.10 system which is on a VM. I didn't see the kmix/cpu issue, at least not right away, but taking a cue from my Debian Sid KDE setup, I did the following:

Code:
            sudo apt-get purge kmix
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-gconf gstreamer0.10-nice gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-x libasound2-plugins libcanberra-pulse paman paprefs phonon-backend-vlc pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-zeroconf vlc-plugin-pulse
            Some of these turned out to be already installed, and there will be other stuff pulled in including some gtk.

You need to restart KDE to let kmix go.

Now put the pavucontrol icon on the panel and you should be good to go. It seems to work as well with Kubuntu 11.10/KDE 4.8 Beta as it does with my aptosid KDE 4.7.2, i.e. pretty well for all my purposes. YMMV, of course.

Comment

sudo apt-get purge kmix

will remove kubuntu-desktop

Comment

No problem -- kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package. It is used to pull in most of KDE, but removing it does not remove KDE.

Comment

So that won't effect updates?

Also - how do you put pavucontrol on the panel?

Comment

From apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop:

Code:
                    Description-en: Kubuntu Plasma Desktop/Netbook system
                     This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system.
                     Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop or
                     Netbook installation.
                     It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages are
                     not desired.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                      So that won't effect updates?

Also - how do you put pavucontrol on the panel?
                      No problem for updates.

Right click the cashew and unlock Widgets. Then Kmenu / Multimedia / Pulseaudio Volume control. -- right click it and "Add to Panel".

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Right click the cashew and unlock Widgets. Then Kmenu / Multimedia / Pulseaudio Volume control. -- right click it and "Add to Panel".
                        Thanks.

Not exactly what I was thinking of - that just launches the mixer app, not a actual integrated volume control. But useful never less.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I hope that kmix is fixed in the next RC. The could also do with resolving the outstanding failure of krename.

I found that kmix misbehavior was triggered by Kaffiene playing TV and I had solved it by stopping kmix.

Comment

so an update to my mouse refuses to click anything issue, it seems adding the ppa for 4.8 to oneirc 11.10 causes major havoc with my system, though installing both the amd64 and i386 nightly build which also has 4.7.95 works perfectly, so something seemingly between the ppa and the nightly build is possibly different. id have prefered to stay on the oneirc 64 bit system since skype works, using 12.04 precise is a failure for skype since multi-arch libs for i386 compat are still "broken". not sure really what this means to anyone, just though id update my findings. upgrading oneirc to 4.7.95 produces an desktop thats not useable, installing a fresh 12.04 nightly build works flawlessly, not if they would only fix the multiarch support

Comment

I am using alsasmixer and alsamixergui to control audio after killing kmix. Not as convenient as kmix, but no cpu spiking.
                              Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                              Always consider Occam's Razor
                              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw

Not exactly what I was thinking of - that just launches the mixer app, not a actual integrated volume control. But useful never less.

I don't understand -- not sure what you are seeing -- did you set the backend to gstreamer? Here, it integrates with whatever is using the sound system:

amarok:
                                [img width=400 height=184]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4324/pavucontrolamarok.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=200]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4395/pavucontrolskype.png[/img]

browser and flash:
                                [img width=400 height=204]http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/4842/pavucontrolflash.png[/img]

and I previously showed it supporting the "Line In" level setting for an audacity recording session:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119656.0

Comment

Working...
                                X