Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Muon improvement suggestions thread.

Originally posted by SteveRiley
    Originally posted by marl30
    I added the PPA from the time of my last post, yet mine only got updated to 1.2.8 today. However, since adding the PPA, I've seen a lot of improvements in stability and speed. The only thing still needs attention is the search in software manager. It still doesn't find all the program in the repository. You still have to browse category by category to see them all.
    Muon 1.3.50 is in šumski's KDE Goodies PPA for Oneiric and Precise.
    Thanks. Will add it right away.

Comment

I reinstalled my system from scratch (new hard drive in laptop), then I added qapt-experimental ppa and upgaded muon to newest beta.

I was amazed (in negative way) that muon still fails to install some deb packages. So I opened this bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=290510

Please if you had problems with installing some deb files, please name them in that bug report.

Thanks.
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Problems both installing AND removing packages, even when the purge option is selected.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm afraid 32-bit muon came pretty close to trashing an upgrade to KDE 4.8 this morning. muon downloaded the upgrade fine then stalled at 55% during the install. I let it sit for half an hour then killed the muon and qapt processes and finished the upgrade with dpkg --configure -a

I'm really, really not bragging on my own mad skillz but I think someone with a little less experience with package managers would have ended up with a broken installation.

I don't know which version of muon it was because I don't know if it got upgraded during the upgrade to KDE 4.8 - the version I have now is v1.2.1 and I have kubuntu-ppa and kubuntu-ppa/backports enabled so maybe the developer can divine what version it was from the repos I have enabled.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

This has happened to me with Muon as well. It seems there are situations where it hangs and can not resume a download if the Internet connection goes out briefly.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              This has happened to me with Muon as well. It seems there are situations where it hangs and can not resume a download if the Internet connection goes out briefly.
              Yup. This one hung during package installation, though - I think it might be a different issue.
              -- anais nin

Comment

It just happened to me as well at 55%, I killed it and when I continued via apt-get I was presented with the question if I wanted to keep or overwrite the non-default settings of kdrc.
                So it looks like Muon is not able to pop up such a question and just waits indefinitely.
                Last edited by Teunis; Jan 26, 2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

My biggest issue with muon package manager(i gave up with the software center) is that for any upgrades, it seems to choke on me, no matter how long i let it run for. I once let an update run for 2 days, and nothing happened. I had to do my usual 'kill process -> rm lock -> dpkg --configure -a -> apt-get dist-upgrade' like every other time. it even happened today when I put 4.8 on my computer. Its really nice, I can see all the packages, and i can put new things on...otherwise, its just a little program to tinker with now and then
                  Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    It just happened to me as well at 55%, I killed it and when I continued via apt-get I was presented with the question if I wanted to keep or overwrite the non-default settings of kdrc.
                    So it looks like Muon is not able to pop up such a question and just waits indefinitely.
                    I saw that too - I *think* I've seen muon deal with dialogs before, maybe it just didn't deal with this one.

edit: My home laptop and desktop have auto-login enabled. My work PC doesn't and didn't pop up that dialog.
                    Last edited by wizard10000; Jan 27, 2012, 05:57 AM.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                      Muon 1.3.50 is in šumski's KDE Goodies PPA for Oneiric and Precise.
                      Not anymore.

I suggest 'backporting' (I hope that's the right terminology) newer versions of Muon in future so that at least users of the current version of Kubuntu may also benefit from its rapid development.
                      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                        Not anymore.

I suggest 'backporting' (I hope that's the right terminology) newer versions of Muon in future so that at least users of the current version of Kubuntu may also benefit from its rapid development.
                        i moved amarok, muon and qapt here:
                        https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+arch...e-unstableapps
                        sigpic

Comment

New qml updater:
                          sigpic

Comment

So can we have some of the new stuff in kubuntu-ppa/backports? Please?

-- anais nin

Comment

Short video of muon-installer-qml:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WDdVSgiw8&
                              sigpic

Comment

An observation from 12.04:
                                I usually do the daily updates through the Konsole and apt-get and during the past week I had on two occasions a package held back from upgrading.
                                When I tried Muon it suggested to install or update a few dependencies and all became well.

So it looks to me that Muon has made some great strides to becoming a one-stop solution for package management.

Kudos to the developer!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X