This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should xorg.conf contain? (SOLVED)

I would like to edit xorg.conf to suit my monitor vertical refresh, horizontal synchronization and display size.
    On opening nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf it contains just

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

and nothing else, is this right ?

Should I run the following to generate xorg.conf?

1/ # "Xorg -configure" to produce the file.

2/ # "Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new -retro to test,
    Does adding the "-retro" allows "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" to force quit still work?

3/ # "nano /root/xorg.conf.new" to edit.

4/ # "Run 2 again.

5/ # "cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf to produce the new xorg.conf file in the right place.

Thanks

Ken

Re: What should xorg.conf contain?

there doesn't need to be anything in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, if its not there the machine will try to guess the res and driver it should load. the only reason to have an xorg.conf file anymore is if your using a properitary driver. it seams you are missing a Driver "<driver>" entry. that might be a problem?

have you tried using the system settings display module to set your desired refresh rate? if you have an properitary driver you should use the drivers setting tools run either "kdesudo nvidia-settings" or "kdesudo aticccle" depending on if you have the nvidia or ati driver installed. (might be kdesudo amdcccle now btw)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: What should xorg.conf contain?

Hi
      Thanks for the info.
      I was not sure if an xorg.conf file was required.
      The settings are correct in nvidia-settings.
      Ken

Comment

Re: What should xorg.conf contain? (SOLVED)

nvidia-settings should create a user file in your home directory and not use xorg.conf by default. The answer to the subject-line question is "Depends..."

I have a lot in my xorg.conf that greatly enhances speed and performance of my 8800GT cards. You may benefit from adding certain options there, but they are not usually mandatory.

Each release of xorg seems to handle more and more options very well by default.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X