Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 11.10 is the best KDE desktop on the Planet Earth today.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    The Page Hit Rankings at DistroWatch bears no correlation to distro use or popularity. In fact, more people running Windows visit DistroWatch than those running Linux. You might call it a curiosity index.
    When I was running PCLinuxOS between P.93 through the 2007 release, for a year during that period PCLinuxOS was rated "#1" on that site. However, while I frequently ran into folks running Ubuntu, or Mandriva or RedHat or CentOS or SuSE, I rarely ran into someone running PCLOS.

Also, the better and more friendly a distro is the fewer folks you have visiting sites like this asking for help. For 95%+ of the folks who use it, it "just works".
    Thats interesting! I'd love to know your reasons why you left PCLinuxOS. Thats one of the distros I'm thinking of using when 11.10 gets to end of life.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
      Thats interesting! I'd love to know your reasons why you left PCLinuxOS. Thats one of the distros I'm thinking of using when 11.10 gets to end of life.
      For the same reason I left MEPIS. They are, essentially, one man shows.

I had come to PCLOS from MEPIS, where its developer had to step aside for a while to make money and pay medical bills. During his absence MEPIS slid down hill. I had used PCLOS for over a year when the hurricane roared through Huston, destroying TexStar's home. He stepped away from the project, leaving it in charge of some folks. Almost immediately the quality began to go down hill and the fights over territory went up. I moved to Mandriva. After less than a year with Mandriva I bought a new laptop as a retirement gift. Mandriva's Intel driver wouldn't give acceleration. I worked with the xorg crew by supplying tracebacks from September 2008 to Feb 2009. On a lark I tried Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha. It gave me acceleration immediately. Mandriva had been selecting i815 and Kubuntu selected i915. I've been with Kubuntu every since and, IMO, it is the distro which fits me the best. That is, it has enough automatics to make life easy, but I can jump in and take control anytime I wish using Konsole and not having to plow through two dozen config files to do so.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X