This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted another one...

My college age son had his Mom's old Mac (that's the EX wife! )for a couple years and needed Office so she bought him Parallels and MSOffice for God-knows-how-much money.

A year later, she gave him an old Dell that had too many viruses and malware to be usable to her any longer. He brought it to me and I wiped it clean and put 10.04 on it with OpenOffice. Once I set it up for him, he had no trouble adjusting and no problems at all for a year. Cost = $0.

Last week, for Xmas, she gave him a brand new mid-range Dell lappy with Win7 on it. He played with it for a day and then brought it to me. "Dad, can you put linux on this one too? Windows is just too slow and has too much junk on it." Needless to say, an hour later he was happily running 11.10 and installing a few things for his own use. Every piece of hardware on it (Inspiron N4050) worked out of the box.

Another one bites the dust...

Please Read Me

Re: Converted another one...

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    My college age son had his Mom's old Mac (that's the EX wife! )for a couple years and needed Office so she bought him Parallels and MSOffice for God-knows-how-much money.

A year later, she gave him an old Dell that had too many viruses and malware to be usable to her any longer. He brought it to me and I wiped it clean and put 10.04 on it with OpenOffice. Once I set it up for him, he had no trouble adjusting and no problems at all for a year. Cost = $0.

Last week, for Xmas, she gave him a brand new mid-range Dell lappy with Win7 on it. He played with it for a day and then brought it to me. "Dad, can you put linux on this one too? Windows is just too slow and has too much junk on it." Needless to say, an hour later he was happily running 11.10 and installing a few things for his own use. Every piece of hardware on it (Inspiron N4050) worked out of the box.

Changing the world, one person at a time. It's a rewarding experience, indeed!
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I would like to attempt to convert my son. He spends most of his computer time immersed in the worlds of Minecraft and Steam. Do these work under Linux?

(I'll admit my knowledge of video games is low. If I can't do it on my PSP, I won't play it )

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        I would like to attempt to convert my son. He spends most of his computer time immersed in the worlds of Minecraft and Steam. Do these work under Linux?

(I'll admit my knowledge of video games is low. If I can't do it on my PSP, I won't play it )
        Minecraft, yes!

Steam runs through Wine (there is no Linux client) but you / he should check out Desura. It's becoming the Linux equivalent
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

That was quick! Thanks, I'll investigate.

Comment

Many Steam games also work on Crossover Games. You should check out which one has what medals and even look in their forums. People tend to be more conservative in their ratings there as opposed to the ones on AppDB. Beware of those that require .Net 3.0+ runtimes though.

I know CxGames is not free but it's still a win-win situation. You give money to Codeweavers and you also sponsor future wine development. There's also PlayOnLinux.

Comment

That was quick! Thanks, I'll investigate.
              Steve you ought to check out Minecraft. It's a blast! I play with my boys and we have so much fun. If you want to know what all the fuss is about, just plug "Minecraft" into Youtube. I doubt there's ever been a game with more videos made for it. Also, Paul Soares Jr. (Youtube user 'paulsoaresjr') has a lot of introductory videos and a massive following. He also has a series called "Minecraft Dad" that's worth checking out. It's an awesome game. Finally, he also now has a family-friendly server that your son and/or you can get whitelisted on.

I know GreyGek and others here play it quite a bit. Along with myself. I'm not a "gamer" per-se, but this is not your typical game. If you try it, let me know what you think!
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
                He also has a series called "Minecraft Dad" that's worth checking out. It's an awesome game. Finally, he also now has a family-friendly server that your son and/or you can get whitelisted on.
                I am glad my wife doesn't frequent these forums. Just what I need -- more reasons to lurk in front of the computer instead of getting outdoors!

Not that it matters today. Here's a view from a camera at the top of the Space Needle:

(The lights are holiday decorations.)

Comment

I would like to attempt to convert my son. He spends most of his computer time immersed in the worlds of Minecraft....
                  Here's my menu launch command for Minecraft:
                  java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -cp minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

I'm hooked on Minecraft. I've finally dredged up enough diamond ore to create armor made of diamond. The steel armor lasts for only a dozen or so spider bites or creeper blasts, or 30 or 40 zombie attacks., Diamond is supposed to last 10X longer, as do diamond swords, picks and shovels.

The fun of the game is in the strategy needed to mine and stay alive.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    The steel armor lasts for only a dozen or so spider bites
                    Spiders attack steel? Next you'll be telling me that praying mantises attack vanadium!

Comment

They are VICIOUS spiders with evil eyes that glow red, and they are very aggressive.

There are no Praying Mantis in Minecraft, but they do have EnderMen. They look like a totally black octopus with a square head, walking around on their tentacles, carrying a block of stone, and with eyes that glow yellow. If the touch you, you'll die. They have the ability to teleport. If you get with a sword length of them they disappear and reappear a few meters away. Arrows can work against them.

Another feature about Minecraft is the ability to make electric circuits, trap doors, pistons, moving walls, powered mine carts, TNT, etc...
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey GreyGeek...If you want a real challenge (and also more cute animals)...I'd recommend the Mo'Creatures Mod. It adds a lot of animals to land and sea. Most are nice, but Oh those werewolves and Ogres...and suddenly creepers seem kinda domesticated!

Anyone thought of getting a group of us together and playing on a server?
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Not that it matters today. Here's a view from a camera at the top of the Space Needle:

(The lights are holiday decorations.)
                          Nice! I was in Seattle once. Sure beats where I'm at.
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            Another feature about Minecraft is the ability to make electric circuits, trap doors, pistons, moving walls, powered mine carts, TNT, etc...
                            Now I know why you would be drawn to this game. I can totally picture you as the charming, busy tinkerer/handyman in some remote medieval village

Originally posted by dequire
                            Nice! I was in Seattle once. Sure beats where I'm at.
                            OK, so where are you? Your profile says "Ohio." Maybe you can commiserate with Dibl!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

That story fills me with !
                              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                              X