This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A truly great release

I appreciate your machine works fine without the nVidia drivers but I find it very strange a default xorg.conf file would corrupt anything.
    Mainly because the default is just about empty:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
    EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by tweev
      I tried updating the video driver and the NVidia x-server setting and things just started going south (not mounting a disk - how does that happen by changing the xconf file) Anyway, I deleted the xconf file and threw in a backup I made and I was back to where I was.
      It should be as easy as this:
      • Remove any existing nvidia-settings and nvidia-current packages. Delete any existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
      • Add the X-swat PPA from Launchpad to your Software Sources. Run sudo apt-get update.
      • Install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings from X-swat.
      • Reboot.
      • After logging on, open a command prompt and run sudo nvidia-xconfig. This will create the basic xorg.conf that the proprietary driver requires.

For additional functionality, you can add three more lines to the "Devices" section:

Code:
      Option  "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
      Option  "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "1"
      Option  "Coolbits" "1"
      The first option is required to restore brightness key functionality on some laptops. The second option enables a feature that lowers power consumption. The third option enables an additional page in the nvidia-settings utility that allows you to over/underclock the GPU.

Comment

I know what you mean. Something else must have happened because I agree, I don't see how playing with the xorg file would affect drive mounting at all.

Ok, I will give what you guys suggest a try later - if it's that easy I will give it a go!

Thanks.

Comment

A dissenting opinion: 11.10 has been a disaster for me

I've been updating my Kubuntu regularly for quite a few years, and generally the updates have gone well with only a few hiccups. But 11.10 has been a disaster for me, and no one has been able to help. To wit:

1. I did the migration of kmail to kmail and am now marooned where I can go neither forward nor back. After the migration, it was impossible to move messages from one of my inboxes to Trash; that option was greyed out, and no one could explain why. In my attempts to fix that problem, I've only been digging the hole deeper and deeper, and my kmail database is now a mess. What makes matters far worse is that there's no documentation available on the changes to the Accounts structure, which now inexplicably includes Local Folders and drags akonadi into the mix. Local Folders does not resemble any other account, and the Help file has nothing to say either about the Local Folders account specifically or about Folder accounts in general.

My request for enlightenment in the KDE forum http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f...205939#p205939 has gone unanswered. I'm afraid to retrieve my email because that will make it difficult to coordinate the new messages with the repairs to the old structure -- if I ever manage to make them. There has been acknowledgment that the migration procedure often fails.

2. I have problems with sound on my laptop -- I can't decouple the headphone output from the built-in output. This problem was fixed by changes in the ubuntu-audio-dev repository for Natty, but that repository has not been updated for Oneiric and there's no indication of when it will be.

3. Gnucash now aborts on startup with the message binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time followed by a segmentation fault. I have no clue what to do about this.

That's why I'm so down on the Oneiric release.

Comment

Working...
          X