This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A truly great release

I've followed the progress of this release for a while, occasionally installing a daily build to see how it was doing. I have to say that the final release is beautiful. I have it installed alongside my LMDE installation (which I have turned into an unofficial KDE version), and find myself spending much more time in Kubuntu. It is a pure pleasure to use.
    Kubuntu 20.04
    HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Re: A truly great release

Yes I tried kbuntu a year ago an went back too Linux mint.

My son an me had problems getting mint Debian too work right an saw kbuntu had just released this he put it on his new computer an i put it on mine we find that this is a very polished stable release.

It runs great an he is gotten a Linux bible an all day today been goofing with his system an it is still stable.

Comment

Kubuntu 11.10 is a great release! Everything works, is easy on the eyes and is intuitive. After Gnome 3, it is KDE for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lensman
        Kubuntu 11.10 is a great release! Everything works, is easy on the eyes and is intuitive. After Gnome 3, it is KDE for me.
        Welcome home! KDE is beautiful, and now with 4.7 dare I say - Rock Solid?
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Kubuntu 11.10 is a great release! Everything works, is easy on the eyes
          Well there are still a few bugs, I have two applications that won't even start and a few other bugs that were listed in a previous post of mine but in the main I agree with you. I just don't understand why so many people hate Unity and threaten to move to another distribution without even trying Kubuntu. Or even Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

After Ubuntu 11.04 was released I moved to Kubuntu full time. That version of Unity just didn't work for me, it felt buggy and unfinished. I said I would go back and try a later release and I did. After several hours of using the live CD of Ubuntu 11.10 I found that it worked fine but last night I tried to install it and it looked horrible. Gnome shell and the fall back Gnome session refused to run properly. I was both surprised and very disappointed. May be it's just that my PC is now too old for the latest Ubuntu releases but I will try again when I have a little more time.

I don't want to be seen Unity/Ubuntu bashing because I'm not. It looked great and the version that comes with 11.10 is a great improvement over the version that comes with 11.04 but I don't want to buy another PC just to run Ubuntu when this slightly upgraded six-year old PC runs Kubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 just fine. I don't have any performance issues at all.

I'm already looking forward to the next release which as it is an LTS so I'll probably keep that alongside whatever the current release or development version happens to be. Kubuntu of course.

Comment

That's what got me over here too

yes it is real pretty, polished and works great (Kubuntu 11.10)

Comment

It amazing to me how many new users there are on here over the last six months or so. I think Unity drove a lot of you all here, but for those it will be a test of KDE and Kubuntu's strength if the majority of you all stay.

No one posting to this thread so far seems "noobish" at all so I'll assume you all came from some other linux distro(s). So this advice is for others who are newer to linux and this forum:

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful users on this forum. Do yourselves and all of us a huge favor at the beginning of your experience here: When you encounter problems; read the forums posting guidelines, read user "dibl" top 20 fix-list, do your forum searches and then post in as much detail as you can about your problems. 9 out of 10 times you'll get help. Every time a problem is fixed in the forum, I would bet there are dozens of silent but grateful users getting help.

Also: Welcome one and all to the Kubuntu community and the forum.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hats off to the developers. It looks good, runs great, and the upgrade process was flawless.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am thoroughly enjoying Kubuntu 11.10 as the most stable OS I have yet used. Looking at a 6" stack of past distros I have used, I can confidently say that Kubuntu 11.10 is outstanding. I confess that for the most part, I have been a Fedora Gnome user, until once again suffering a broken OS due to updates and also poor Flash integration.

I am dual booting with Win7, for one reason only - Netflix. The moment Netflix supports Linux, 'Billy' is going Bye-Bye.

Comment

Interesting avatar Lensman. Unique.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Interesting avatar Lensman. Unique.
                      Thanks, Snowhog, I have been using it for a long time now. I like to think that it reflects my 8 bit thinking and hollow head.

Comment

This is truly a great release. I have been a Linux user on and off since the Caldera Linux days and it truly has come a long way.
                        I have been leaning the last couple of years towards Opensuse, but had to get an iMac for my music recording as unfortunately nothing in the OSS domain comes close to Logic Studio.
                        I then had to install Windows via Bootcamp as the visualization software that come with my Tacx cycle trainer is only available for MS.
                        I have tried to run Kubuntu and Opensuse natively on the iMac with Refit without any luck at all and using Vbox is hardly ideal.
                        But now i have installed Kbuntu 11.10 via Wubi (why didn't i think of that before) and it is fantastic. Everything runs very smooth and looks gorgeous.
                        The only minor hiccup is that the Apple Bluetooth keyboard will not work with Blue devil. ( Apple's fault !).
                        I am not sure if i am breaking some licencing agreement here. Wubi runs inside the MS file system so i should be OK.
                        You guys have done a terrific job with this release, thank you very much.
                        sigpic

Comment

You know what I like best about this release? For all the core things I need (connectivity, video) it just works.

I still haven't gotten my NVIDIA to work properly for the extra eye candy but I really don't care. What I NEED works great. What I want I'm not willing to risk screwing up what I need to work.

I've been using kubuntu since around 7ish - I've always really liked it. I'm glad I don't have to do the back and forth with windows again, that sucked.

Thanks all Kubuntu developers!

[by the way: please fix BUG 283611 and I'd be gold]

Comment

Originally posted by tweev
                            I still haven't gotten my NVIDIA to work properly for the extra eye candy but I really don't care. What I NEED works great. What I want I'm not willing to risk screwing up what I need to work.
                            What have you tried so far?

Comment

I tried updating the video driver and the NVidia x-server setting and things just started going south (not mounting a disk - how does that happen by changing the xconf file) Anyway, I deleted the xconf file and threw in a backup I made and I was back to where I was.

This is my work machine I can't really have any more downtime from tweaking things around. Animations are fun and everything but really all they do is reduce my productivity because they are pretty to look at

Comment

Working...
                              X