Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of Upgrading from 10.04 to 11.1 (Poll Inside)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Upgrading from 10.04 to 11.1 (Poll Inside)

Yes, Install 11.1 on a reformatted HD
    0%
    Yes, Update to 11.1
    0%
    No, Stay with 10.04
    0%
    Undecided
    0%

Re: Thinking of Upgrading from 10.04 to 11.1 (Poll Inside)

I voted yes, but really we would need more info before answering.

The answer depends on the computer - cpu, graphics card, RAM, et. al.

IMO generally, older slower machines would be better off with 10.04. A newer or high powered machine would benefit from the newer release.

As far as formatting: You should re-format if you're doing a new install to clear out the old files. Whether or not you clear out /home is a separate question and depends on what programs you're using.

Again IMO, the best solution is actually to create a new partition along side your previous install and do a clean install there. That way you still have a usable computer if the new install fails. Once the new install is set up and working to your liking, then you can delete the old one or keep it as a back up.

Please Read Me

Comment

Start with an upgrade to 11.10 (Yes that's a TEN for the month of October)
      When it doesn't perform as expected you can still do a fresh install.

That's all supposing you have a separate /home and 10.04 is not an upgrade from an upgrade etc.

Comment

Okay thanks everyone

Yeah this desktop is just goin downhill, and 10.04 works smoothly so I think I will stay with it, maybe one day I'll get a laptop, I appreciate everyone's responses

Comment

Working...
        X