Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    You know, I don't even understand why people like that are even on this forum. It amazes me how often when someone can't or won't take the time to help themselves but they'll take the time to subvert good others are doing. He "not rich enough" to take them time to learn, but apparently rich enough to take the time to complain.

I've am forced to use Winblows at work and spend a third of my day waiting for it to finish doing something - I'm never sure what it's waiting for, scanning for viruses, rebooting to clear the inevitable BSOD I see a couple of time a week, and about 8 minutes for it to shut down. Thankfully, I get paid by the hour so it's my bosses problem.

I guess after going through all that on a daily basis, I just don't have enough time left over to join windows forums and announce just how crappy the product is that I had to pay for.
    +1
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Re: Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

Chirping in:

I would not say there are not problems. There are a few but the way people are "migrating" is just wrong. Most of them do not even realize that installing a different OS is going to be a different experience. Guys, do not expect to just install it and be able to run "Setup.exe". I still remember installing Redhat 6.1 eons ago. Now THAT was scary stuff for a dude that was barely comfortable with Win 98.

I'm multi-booting: Win7 HP, Ubuntu 10.04 and Kubuntu 11.10. The way I have things set up allows me to easily change OS. Email si Gmail, calendar is also online, dropbox syncs my files. The first two provide entertainment and work environments (yes even Ubuntu + CrossOver Games). The third is there for evaluation and reporting bugs as it seems that once Lucid is EOL the only alternative for me is Kubuntu so I need to make sure it works for me and that it works well.

So, what I'm saying is, if you want to try out Linux, do it. Pick up the most n00b-friendly one out there and try to replicate there what you do on Windows. Keep and open mind. Some stuff is darn easy and some is weird and complicated. And yes, it can be frustrating.

PS: If you are going to dual boot, keep that in mind when buying new hardware. Check with your pal Google if that thing will work on your second OS - assuming you'd like it to work.

Comment

Working...
      X