Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

I just installed Kubuntu 10.4 this week on another computer. I see that 11.10 is the newest version. Since I am still stumbling, fumbling and feeling my way around, it seems reasonable that I should install the newest version before I even learn very much. So, can I just click somewhere and have 10.4 automatically upgrade itself, or am I going to have to aquire/make an install disk and treat the new version as installing from scratch? Hopefully there is a middle ground.
    BTW, thanks for having a forum section set aside for new guys.
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Re: Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?

provided the machine is on line you should be able to upgrade. be warned that upgrades don't always go smoothly (but mostly do).

you will want to check in your software sources i can't remember if its part of system settings in 10.04 or not. but you can find it in the options of muon or synaptic (and kpackagekit if in 10.04) be sure that in the update tab its set to show you release upgrades. you will need to set it to "normal releases" so you can be prompted to upgrade.

then you need to update your package cache, use the update button on your package manager (or run the command: sudo apt-get update in konsole)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am away from home just now, so I will start the upgrade early tomorrow & post about my experience. Likely I will have more questions. I am still learning the glossary. I have to Google search terms you guys take for granted.
      But I will get there.
      Again, thanks for the reply.
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Going directly from 10.4 to 11.10 means skipping two intervening releases. I can't even begin to predict how that will go. Since it appears that you're still in learning mode -- meaning you haven't been using Kubuntu in production for a while (please correct me if I'm misreading what you wrote), I would recommend you skip the upgrade process and simply install the latest version over a freshly formatted drive.

Comment

thanks. so will I need to download and burn a CD?

Comment

If your computer can boot from a USB thumb drive, that's a much faster way to install.

Comment

ah, good point. the machine is an old Dell I use for weather and RSS. I will check bios to see if I can use this method.
              thanks

Comment

Is upgrading to 11.10 from 10.4 very hard?
                Don't even try.

May-be in 300 years, Linux will be an operating system ?

Who care to spend thousand hours on Internet to try to get 80% of your hardware working, learn esoteric command lines (are-we in the 21th century ?), and get your computer #&%$ed-up each time you clic on update ? Fight with installing thirs party drivers for your graphic card ?

I had a multi boot PC with a 10 years old XP working flawlessly with the most recent hardwares, a perfect Seven, and ... a 1 - full week of painful work to install- Kubuntu 10.10.

I made the mistake to try an update.

Now, i have an XP and a seven.... If i try to boot on Linux, black screen and reboot.

Pissed off.

I will format my Linux partition in order to recover some more space.
                Please, do not talk-me any more about Linux or Kubuntu, i don"t want to read or type any more strange things in a console, and i'm not rich enough to can afford this time consuming , unstable and outdated piece of sh...

Shame on the Kubuntu developers.

Instead of trying to build an human friendly solid and easy operating system, they spend their time playing like kids with desktop 3D effects, compiling the same bugs years after years ? And never solve the endless driver's problems and this third party's war ?

I'm so disappointed.

Comment

too late!
                  I have 11.1 installed. I only have a few hours working with it but I am learning the navigation a bit at a time. Some of it works ok, I have not yet been able to add Firefox and the crash handler seems incomplete thus far...
                  You asked why.
                  Speaking only for myself, I guess the only reason to tackle Linux/Ubuntu/Kubuntu is a little like climbing Everest, 'because it's there'
                  I have had all the same frustrations you refer to with Windows since Ver:2.1. I kinda' enjoy fiddling with stuff, searching forums and asking for help.
                  It is an 'extra' machine. I am using it only to learn a little Linux.
                  I also have a Win7 that is my primary machine (dual dual-core, 2 tByte drives, dual monitor, etc) another XP computer(dual monitors) and several laptops with XP professional and one with Vista, which is famous for its 'hair-pulling, screaming frustration.' I also use a PalmPre/HP smartphone with over a hundred homebrew/hacks.
                  I think I am pretty handy with Windows, so I decided to tackle Linux.
                  Cheers, and I hope you get past your frustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by GranPaSmurf
                    Cheers, and I hope you get past your frustrations.
                    It is always the same story. Try very hard to migrate to Linux -> Kubuntu in multi boot after one month of painful fights.

But, as there is always some stuff (Bluetooth, TV card remote, telephone, camera) not working or not good enough, you are obliged to reboot on windows to can do this or that.
                    More and more often, until you simply forget to boot on Linux.

Then, six month later your last Linux boot, you try a kubuntu update, hoping it will solve those hardware problems. In the mean time, you have forgotten all those command lines and drivers traps, or you have added some material to you computer (may-be a third screen ?)...
                    And, of course, as a result, you get a 0% working Kubuntu ?

... Well, i prefer to use my car to go to holidays, not to spend my holidays working on my car...

M$ is copying Linux's philosophy (security, network, stability, automatic updates and even desktop effects).
                    And, with seven, get close to perfection.
                    Kubuntu is copying Windows 98 (bugs, crashs, drivers and network problems, hardware issues, BSODs).

It is amazing to see how fast goes the kubuntu's regression, worse and worth at each release, until this original big bang (for me) ...
                    And believe-me, for a lot of philosophical reasons, i'm not happy at all to write that.

As i'm myself a developer, i can't agree with such a bad bad work.

Comment

I can't disagree with anything you pointed out, but just now I have to go work on a toilet. Turns out it is a dual flush system that has developed a leak. I think I will cut back on the water flow and add a couple of washers to tighten up the seal. It's not 'save the world' technology but it's very important just now in our house, and...it... keeps me feeling...well... needed.
                      Cheers!

Comment

esperado@

Fortunately (but not for you?) there is a much larger group of users of Linux/Kubuntu who like and find it to be a robust operating system -- I am one of that large group.

While you are completely entitled to your frustrations and negative opinions, they are not helpful to others who come here looking for assistance. Statements such as yours are seen as nothing more than "bashing". If you desire to have a pleasant experience with Kubuntu (or any Linux), you have to start with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Kubuntu is a very good Linux variant. I've been using it since 2007 (Edgy Eft) and have used each new release, finding that each was better than the last.

This forum is here to help, but help cannot be provided when no questions are asked. So, if you really want help, you need to ask and be willing to work with those that respond. No one here is a professional staffer or is paid for the assistance they provide. We are all just 'users' of Linux/Kubuntu, sharing a common like of both, with a wide range of experience and technical savvy, wanting to give back to the Linux/Kubuntu community, and doing so by being members of this (and other) forums.

If you aren't able to offer anything constructive to KFN and it's members/guests, please keep your 'bashing' commentary to yourself.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          " to be a robust operating system" ...
                          "Kubuntu is a very good Linux variant."
                          Indeed: i've clicked on "update" (i was invited to do so), and everything is broken, it don't even boot any more.
                          And i can read thousand of postings on various forums, since years, with the same kind of problems.

As an example, it was impossible to install 10.10, on my machine, as network was not working at all (but working on the 10.4)
                          Just plugging a third monitor, this one on my Sandy bridge output, had broken everything, reason for my attempt to update...

Very solid operating system and very good variant , yes, indeed.

I'm sorry to not be a member of the sect and to express an opinion witch is, as yours, shared by million of people, obliged to give *too much* money to M$ for a working OS because Kubuntu devs are may be nice and generous, but not professionals.

At the end, it makes this free stuff more expensive for the end user.

And sorry to do not ask help any more: Patience and open mind overflow.

Comment

This whole thing about "this borked my system" or "I updated and everything went into the... coffeepot".

Which is not fine for the user but ok for us here at the forum because we are here to help....

but then....

One sees.... sprinkled liberally within the post isomething to the effect of: "this is also the way it will be with everybody and for all time in all places ... so be forewarned because no matter what YOUR circumstances are ...you WILL have the same results as did I...".

But in contra-distincion...........there are thousands of OTHER people who do exactly the same thing that the poster says will NEVER work, and "it" whatever "it" is...does....indeed work......

I. for one instance of the second case, have "upgraded" with all of the upgrades since I have been here....nary a hitch..

I, for one one instance of the second case, have "downloaded the latest version" and installed it and never a hitch...

I, for one one instance of the second case, even manually installed Kubu on top of the Onery Cat and it worked, and I can't do anything but hardware and applications....the rest of the folks here do the REAL Linuxy stuff....so....if I could do that..

Well, just.....dunno..... just dunno.....

What was that song...."Never, never.. say never .......

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You know, I don't even understand why people like that are even on this forum. It amazes me how often when someone can't or won't take the time to help themselves but they'll take the time to subvert good others are doing. He "not rich enough" to take them time to learn, but apparently rich enough to take the time to complain.

I've am forced to use Winblows at work and spend a third of my day waiting for it to finish doing something - I'm never sure what it's waiting for, scanning for viruses, rebooting to clear the inevitable BSOD I see a couple of time a week, and about 8 minutes for it to shut down. Thankfully, I get paid by the hour so it's my bosses problem.

I guess after going through all that on a daily basis, I just don't have enough time left over to join windows forums and announce just how crappy the product is that I had to pay for.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X