X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.10 with RAID (2 HDDs used as one) - GRUB install problem

Hello guys!

I am trying to install Kubuntu 11.10 on my Vaio AR51SU notebook, but I am having some problems with the RAID setup of the hard disks. I am not familiar with Linux kernel commands.

I am using the alternate setup Oneiric Ocelot because I read that I would run into troubles with the RAID setup. In the beginning of the installation I selected that the install would help me with the RAID config (I didn't chose for Manual). Now I am almost at the end of the installation where th GRUB-bootloader needs to be installed on one of my hard discs. The setup gives me a screen where I have to choose where to install GRUB. Now it says "/dev/mapper"; also it gives some examples what I can choose, i.e.: '/dev/sda', '/dev/sda2' or '/dev/sdc5'. But no matter what I choose from these three I get the same error: install of grub failed, this is a fatal error. After this I can choose to skip the GRUB install and go ahead with the install without installing GRUB, but I'm guessing this will make my Kubuntu not bootable,...

What should I do to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance !

Pieter

Search for "Fake RAID linux" and you'll find some web pages on it, but unless you're also running Windows on the same computer, I would advise against using motherboard (aka Fake) RAID. With linux it's much easier and safer to use linux software RAID.

To some of your actual question - in order for your computer to be bootable at least one drive needs to have a boot manager (like GRUB) installed to the Master Boot Record - which in linux speak is /dev/sda. If you're also using Windows (dual booting), you might end up not being able to get to it.

You''ll have to provide more information on your desired setup and current attempts before I can help with any more info.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello oshunluvr,

Thank you for the reply.

In total I have 500GB in the notebook. I want to create three partitions: one of 50GB for Win7, one of 50GB for Kubuntu and one of 400GB for data. So my desired setup at the end is a dual boot with Win7 and Kubuntu 11.10. But I'm not getting this RAID stuff at all. I also don't know the difference between Fake RAID and Software rate.

At the end I disabled my RAID setup in my BIOS. After that I was able to install Kubuntu on 1 of the 2 hard drives with succes,... BUT then inside Kubuntu I can not see the other hard drive so I lose half of my hard disk capacity.

Here you can see my RAID setup Enabled:

Here you can see my RAID setup Disabled:

Do you have other ideas how I can make this work with the RAID option enabled?

Thank you !!

Comment

Linux (in this case Kubuntu) will "see" any valid filesystem on any detectable drive. Removing the bios RAID does not automatically re-partition the drive or install a file system.

I presume you wish to use the large data RAID device with both linux and windows. This will require you to use the bios enabled RAID rather than linux software RAID as windows doesn't support it.

I don't know anything about your BIOS RAID (aka "Fake RAID") so, as I suggested, do some web searching. If you can use only part of your hard drives in the RAID setup (all but 50GB on both drives) you should be able to do what you're hoping to do. If not - I have no idea how to procede.

Please Read Me

Comment

That Intel storage BIOS looks suspiciously similar to the one on my Intel D975XBX motherboard, which Linux does not have a driver for (or didn't the last time I looked which was years ago now).

However, a crafty google search turned up this, which seems to offer some hope: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73097

Comment

Working...
          X