Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to Kubuntu, but I have seen very clearly now that it DOES NOT support properly a Wireless Router Access Point, which is configured to operate in WEP mode.
    By contrast, WPA mode works. This is extremely poor quality and the error persists to this day on latest release Kubuntu 12.04. Unimpressed.

Comment

What makes this more irritating.... Ubuntu 12.04 works just fine with WEP.

Comment

Hi...

That's strange, I had no problem using WEP with 10.04.

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Incomputent View Post
          Yes, my wifi is picked up and also all other systems around the area, just won't connect to my system

Have tried adding my wifi, giving the WEP passkey, etc. but no joy

Have also added my laptop via my router settings, never needed that before, my computer has always just been able to use wifi, despite having to add every other laptop in the house.

It gets as far as authentication, then fails

So far, I have the results of

lspci
          ifconfig
          iwconfig

and
          sudo iwlist scan

if anyone can interpret the results for me?

(I know typical but my name is Incomputent for a reason LOL)
          if you post the results of those commands maby we can

I had bad luck with WEP in 10.04 and 10.10 ....but could use it in 11.10 and 12.04 ............perhaps bad hardware matching ?
          but if you can access the router setup then you should really switch to WPA2 .
          WEP is so depreciated that even a novice like me can crack it in 10-15 minutes.

<disclaimer> I practice on my own equipment <disclaimer>

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Kubuntu 12.04 does NOT support Wireless WiFi WEP Mode ... continued.

I should have been more specific; sorry. I have only tried Kubuntu 12.04, not earlier versions.
            I have been using Live CD ( "Try Kubuntu" etc ). I have seen the same failing on three different PCs, each having totally different Hardware.
            The fact that it works on WPA mode helps of course, but in one installation, where I would like to use Kubuntu 12.04 with wireless connection I cannot, since WEP mode fails to work and I am not able to adjust that wireless router to WPA mode without diturbing other users who depend on that WEP mode. I'd be happy to capture some commend logs if that would help, but as I am a novice, I'd appreciate a little guidance on what would be relevant to capture for this issue. Best regards Colum 8)

Comment

Working...
            X