This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi won't connect! after clean install

The clean install of Kubuntu 11.10 on my Laptop went ok as far as I can tell, but wifi will not connect. Have tried everything I can think of, the wifi wotsit is recognised, but it just won't connect to my wifi connection

Have even set up a special access in the router access list which wasn't needed with Kubuntu 10.10

Not happy and fed up now as I seem to be living in Groundhog day

Any advice would be welcome as this laptop is my connection to the internet (or not as of now) I'm using the big beast which I hate to write this.

Very disappointed in Kubuntu this time. 10.10 gave the opportunity to save all my settings and import my documents and files. Didn't happen this time, so glad I made a back up on an external drive. I've a feeling this is where the problem lies.
    Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Core i5vpro, 4G Ram, 320G HDD, Intel HD 4000.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
    Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Have you checked to see if a proprietary driver is available and installed? K > System > Additional Drivers and if there is one detected, that it has been enabled?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for that Snowhog, I have done the K > System > Additional Drivers and can't find anything to do with additional drivers or even drivers ! Have looked everywhere in System and typed the request into the search box - nothing happened!Very disappointed with this version of Kubuntu so far, the wifi card is clearly there and my wifi is 'found' the thing just won't connect

Been searching the web for fixes and can't find one that is relevant and I can understand.

OK - was looking in the wrong place. Have now done as asked and got the message

Sorry Jockey "Downloading pacakge indexes faild, please check your network status. Most drivers will not be available"

Not sure what it means but it doesn't sound good
      Last edited by Incomputent; Mar 11, 2012, 06:15 AM.
      Running clean install of KUBUNTU 20.04 after years of running Ubuntu 18.04 then a week running Sabayon.
      Running clean install of KUBUNTU 18.04 after a couple of months running ArchLinux Manjaro

Comment

Have you checked 'manage connections" from the sys_tray? Is anything listed under wireless?
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Yes, my wifi is picked up and also all other systems around the area, just won't connect to my system

Have tried adding my wifi, giving the WEP passkey, etc. but no joy

Have also added my laptop via my router settings, never needed that before, my computer has always just been able to use wifi, despite having to add every other laptop in the house.

It gets as far as authentication, then fails

So far, I have the results of

lspci
          ifconfig
          iwconfig

and
          sudo iwlist scan

if anyone can interpret the results for me?

(I know typical but my name is Incomputent for a reason LOL)
          Last edited by Incomputent; Mar 11, 2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Are you sure you need a WEP passkey?
            WEP is totally insecure and most systems have moved on to WPA...

If you have full control over your modem/router and not too many nasty neighbours you could start by temporarily disabling all protection and see if that will allow a connection.

b.t.w, the Jockey message is that it can't find an internet connection, you could temporarily connect via a network cable and do your updates.

Comment

I found when connecting to the occassional wifi network via mobile, KDEWallet was the clincher for me. If I disabled it then I found I couldn't connect to wifi.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

That's interesting, I haven't seen KDE Wallet at all, it used to pop up after login in Kubuntu 10.10 will go looking for it tomorrow. Having a stressfree day today as the weekend was really stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomputent View Post
                  That's interesting, I haven't seen KDE Wallet at all, it used to pop up after login in Kubuntu 10.10 will go looking for it tomorrow. Having a stressfree day today as the weekend was really stressful.
                  I'm sorry your day is stressful, I hope you're able to get some time to relax very soon. :-)

KDE Wallet won't kick in until you've logged in to your connection for the first time. That's why you haven't seen it yet. ;-)

Regards...
                  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                  How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
                    KDE Wallet won't kick in until you've logged in to your connection for the first time. That's why you haven't seen it yet. ;-)Regards...
                    I thought KDE Wallet was required if the options "Connect automatically' and "System connection" were both checked.

Comment

Well, it's doubly disappointing. I used the old 10.10 CD and can browse the net with that no problem. didn't even have to tell it where to look etc. Just typed in my passphrase and hey presto!

So how do I get 11.10 to do the same?

Just what is the %^&*%&* problem? So frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                        I thought KDE Wallet was required if the options "Connect automatically' and "System connection" were both checked.
                        Hi...

It may be a requirement but I've noticed that, at least on initial installations, Wallet will ask the user to create a password only after the correct login information (for the wireless connection) has been supplied by the user.

Regards...
                        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71 View Post
                          It may be a requirement but I've noticed that, at least on initial installations, Wallet will ask the user to create a password only after the correct login information (for the wireless connection) has been supplied by the user.
                          And when KWallet prompts you for that password, leave it blank. This simple step appears to eliminate the struggles that KWallet otherwise puts you through.

Comment

I give up!

After seeing days of my life disappear into the BIG BLACK HOLE that is Kubuntu 11.10 I'm going back to 10.10 - at least it works and I can also have the internet, which is the main purpose of the laptop.

If I had found even ONE thread or reference to the problem that resolved in it being solved then I'd have some hope, but there have been none. I have however found several references to the problem where the user has given up and used another OS - without further problems.

Many thanks to those of you who have at least tried to understand the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomputent View Post
                              Many thanks to those of you who have at least tried to understand the problem.
                              You know, I didn't think to ask you what the results were of lspci were. Could you post them? I would like to see what chipset we're dealing with here. :-)

Regards...

Comment

Working...
                              X